Old August 2nd, 2004, 01:27 PM
Peter Charles

Default Caddis searching pattern - from failure to success

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 00:36:08 -0600, rw
wrote:

The best caddis searching pattern, if I had to pick just one, is a PT nymph.

Funny, I don't think of nymphing as being much of a searching method.
Nymphing is usually confined to seams, runs, and the deeper slots,
though of course, it can be used almost anywhere. It's usually
applied to features where the fish are concentrated. Swinging wets
and streamers explores the margins, the shallows plus it covers way
more water. Fish are also more likely to move to the swung fly.

Yesterday, I could swing the fly a dozen times through the head of a
riffle and get nothing, then a few feet further and I'd be swining
through a fish holding area and hit after hit. There probably was a
slight depression in that area and the fish were holding in it, yet it
wasn't apparent just by looking at the riffle and I'm sure most
nymphers would have walked right by it as it was totally unremarkable.

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...ers/index.html