Old April 30th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Doug Kanter

Default Casting Disaster

"Scott Seidman" wrote in message
. 1.4...
"Doug Kanter" wrote in
:

New fly rod....big trouble. Tried casting while actually standing in a
stream last night. Two books said that x amount of line should be
laying in front of me before the pickup. This worked fine when
practicing on the lawn. They do not explain what to do when the
water's moving swiftly from left to right, taking the pile of line
with it, and you want to fly to end up to the left. I managed
something creative, but the leader & tippet were not exactly landing
gracefully - more of a bunch than a nice presentation. Help.

Many folks develop the nasty habit in this situation of roll-casting to

put
the line out in front of them so that they can pick up for a backcast in
the right direction. It works, but I'm told its not desirable.

Pick up the line however you can, and adjust the direction later

Scott

Like....working it around while it's airborne until it's oriented correctly?
In other words, if the line's headed downstream to the right, the pickup's
going to head pretty much to the left initially, unless I keep it airborne
for a few cycles to get it behind me.