Old September 20th, 2003, 01:06 PM
Tim Carter

Default Tying flies

"Tim J." wrote in message

"Scott Seidman" wrote...
"Tim Carter" wrote:

And if my post didn't clearly mention, I've been stoked about tying my
own flies!!

Your flies for the roff swap arrived and no one would ever guess you're a
novice. Very nice!

Thanks Tim. I suppose like anyone, I'd be curious to hear how well they
stand up and how well they do on the water. I've yet to fish
them...jeezzz...I haven't been out for ... 2 ..months now?!?!

Another thing that I forgot to mention was getting tying
materials from other sources than fly tying shops. My Meow Mix nymphs
are dirt cheap thanks to the contributions my cats make, and my Border
Collie mix has a ton of colors to contribute to my flies. Also, early
waterfowl season just ended and now I have a good supply of feathers
from a few blue-winged teal and Canada geese, as well as a pheasant
hunting friend of mine getting me a supply of those feathers, and I
hope to be receiving a few raccoon and squirrel hides in the next few
weeks from another friend...

Be careful about introducing critters into your expensive materials,

like
hackle. Put the stuff through a freeze/microwave/freeze cycle, store
everything in individual plastic ziplocks, and pop a few moth crystals

(not
naphthalene, but the other stuff, paradichlorobenzene, I think) in your
storage facility.

I had heard this before but couldn't remember the details. Thanks for
posting here. Up to this point, I've only had them in a ziploc. Thus far I
haven't seen anything appear, but the animals were hunted and not roadkill
and I only took feathers with no blood/skin on them. I had hoped that would
reduce my potential problems until I could find this information. ...come
to think of it, I do also have a few turkey feathers I found in the woods.
Well, gotta go do some freezing...
Thanks again Scott,

Good advice for all. I don't even store "roadkill" in the same container
regardless of precautions.
--
TL,
Tim