Old June 24th, 2005, 01:14 AM

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 16:50:12 GMT, " Ralph Heidecke"
wrote:

Hi Folks:

I'm about 3 weeks away from a 3 week road trip with the family from
Vancouver British Columbia down to Corona Del Mar south of LA to visit my
sister.

I'm interested in links or fishing info on the area around Long Beach and
possibly some chance to fish for steelhead and sea run cutthroat in Oregon
or trout in Northern California. I'm not looking for much - just a chance to
wet a line for an hour or two in the evening and a half or full day around
Long Beach- Newport Beach (I've heard good things about King's Harebor?).

I primarily flyfish - advice on rod size and flies for Southern California
would be appreciated. I won't have a boat or water craft but renting or a
charter aren't out of the question.

Thanks in Advance

Check out the following websites:

http://www.fishfirst.com
This site has a database of bimonthly fishing reports on salmonids.

http://www.scsurffishing.com/forums/
This page has links to live webcams of various Southern Cal beaches
known for surf fishing.

http://www.danblanton.com
Has recipes for several surf fishing flies; also has a chat page on
local conditions.

You should have great fishing for steelies and trout in Northern Cal.
For surf fishing, the best time was March through May. About the
only fly-munching fish will be flatfish, cobia, small sharks, maybe
hold-over surf perch.

The go-to fly is a Clouser Minnow in two color combos:
green or chartreuse and white
red-brown over white

Nine foot 8wt rod is ideal. Use a 20 to 30 foot lead-core shooting
head attached to mono running line. Do not ever use a pricey
slick-coated fly line for surf fishing. Sand in the water acts like
a slurry and will grind away your plastic coating in a matter of
minutes.

Have fun. Tight lines.