Old March 8th, 2004, 12:14 PM
pcadd

Default How to rig & fish a spoon?

Thanks, basically what I thought. Except for the part about the little
red tab. I have not been taking them off. Reading your reply I guess
it is useless to have them attached, right? Can extra "fans" or
"skirts" be purchased seperatly somewhere and do you use snap swivels
on jigs? Great info here.

(pcadd) wrote in message . com...
Just saw this and had basically the same question. Very good reply,
but one other thing that I have seen other's use is a snap swivel with
the spoon and with jigs. What do you thing? should a snap swivel be
used with spoons and jigs?

"RichG" wrote in message ...
Since I fish West Galveston bay with spoons, maybe this will help.

Buy some 1/4 oz. or even 1/8th oz. Johnson Sprite ( Gold for reds, Silver
for trout ) spoons. Put the red "fan" that comes in the package on to the
hook. Take off the little red tab that Johnson supplies.

Add a Stainless steel split ring to the spoon. The reason for the split ring
is that Johnson makes these spoons with just a punch hole into the metal.
That punch hole will cut your line very quickly, unless you add the
protection of the SS split ring.

To the Split ring, tie on 15/20 inches of fluorocarbon ( I use a simple loop
knot ) or at least clear monofilament. Many use 20 lb test. It is for a
"shock leader" to help avoid cut-offs with the shell you hope you are
fishing over. Tie a good quality black swivel on to the Fluorocarbon shock
leader. Tie 10 lb. mono onto the swivel. Cast as far as you can. Jig it
back and hang on! Some people just reel it back in slowly. I find my best
luck is when I "work it" back with five inch or so pulls and stops. Try
them all.

Good luck, let us know how it works.
RichG
p.s. Where do you fish in Galveston bay complex????