Old February 28th, 2006, 05:47 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing,misc.rural,misc.consumers

Default Fish Down Stream 3M Ssite On Mississippi River Unsafe

In article , Lawrence
Glickman wrote:
On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 22:08:21 -0500, Jim Ledford
wrote:

Lawrence Glickman wrote:

[....]

Jim Ledford wrote:

snip

I LOL
at how Chicago dumps their treated sewage in the same lake
they take their drinking water from.

[....]

I would know, as I did the experiment.
I took tap water from lake Michigan and filled a tall clear bottle
with it. I then put it in a place where it wouldn't be disturbed for
72 hours. After that time, I took the bottle and looked at the
bottom, where a thick brown sediment had settled. My best guess is
that is human fecal material at the bottom of the bottle.

Invisible at first because it is in suspension, but given the
opportunity for gravity to work on it, the accumulation is quite
pronounced, and of the appropriate brown color.

As far as dissolved chemicals are concerned, they remained in
solution. I attack both problems with sediment and activated carbon
filters. I know someone who died from cancer...her doctor said it was
most likely from drinking the water ( Steger Illinois, which I think
is/was wellwater until we got a feed from Lake Michigan through a
Chicago Heights distribution station ).

In summary, I would not feed tap water to a stray DOG, without first
filtering it through sediment and activated carbon/charcoal filters to
remove _most_ of the impurities. There remains the *heavy metals*
problem, but those filters are way way expensive. Activated
carbon/charcoal with a pre-filter for sediment provides a Good Return
on Investment (ROI). I have two of them in series, for drinking water
purposes only.

Nobody at this house drinks water from any source that isn't first
filtered with my own equipment.

Lg
Chicago ( far South Side )

Lg - smart person, good job for your work.

Thanks Jim,

Here is my response to those that think I was looking at IRON
precipitate.*

THAT'S A HELL OF A LOT OF IRON! We're talking 1/16th deep LAYER of
this *stuff.* If it is human feces, it is _dead_ human feces, but
feces none the less.

I surely doubt any of the Great Lakes have that much feces, human or
cattle or pig or total in any way!

I do suspect you overestimated the thickness of the sediment layer,
especially as averaged over the bottom surface of the container. But even
if it was only .02 or .01 inch thick if made even in thickness, I don't
see any of the Great Lakes having that much poop even if all the cowpies
from Wisconsin and all the sewage and dog poop, cat poop, rat poop, mouse
poop and roach poop and flyspecks from Chicago and its suburbs and poop
from all livestock in Chicago's stockyards got dumped into Lake Michigan
with no treatment.

I suspect most of this stuff is iron compounds and ordinary dirt.

Also, I do not see a need for zero tolerance of fecal matter in water
but some sort of "safe level". Humans evolved in areas where I doubt they
were upstream of every fish in the nearest creek, as well as runoff from
land pooped on by animals let alone the next village upstream!

- Don Klipstein )