Old August 16th, 2006, 07:13 AM posted to alt.fishing
Tom G

Default River buoy

"Allen" wrote in message
.. .
May I ask why you feel the need to mark the river for anyone. You don't
own it,
and you're not responsible to keep a channel deep enough for boats to
safely navigate past your house. If some one goes aground so be it.
Do large ships use the river. The depth of 2 ft to 8 inches may make a bit
of difference to some,
but down here in Florida, My flats boat goes in 8 inches. and so do jet
drives, canoes, kayaks
...it's not your problem, the river has been that way long before you ever
showed up,
and no you can't place markers in the river. Not legally anyhow...
Since you have moved to that location how many people rubbed the bottom
beside you or a friend
of yours? Also think about this... if the markers move and someone hits
something because
of your markers, nowYOU, have a problem... need more info.. stop in at
http://click1now.com for sal****er info.

"Tom G" wrote in message

I would imagine you are referring to the OP rather than to my post as I feel
no need to mark the channel. I've lived off and on in this cottage since
1953 and never in the past cared if anyone ran into a sand bar as I've
certainly hit my share. But as an example of my concerns...earlier this
evening I was sitting on my dock fishing and a deck boat with six passengers
came up the river. They were heading straight for the sandbar (about 4"
under now) and I tried to wave them off. But to no avail. When they hit
it, instead of killing the motor, the operator hit full throttle and cranked
the steering hard left toward shore(and thus right up on the bar) as if to
turn around before getting further onto the bar. I thought for a moment the
boat was going to flip over or at least throw someone out of it. It seems
people have a lot of money to buy big boats without any experience or
knowledge on how to operate them. So this is my concern...I've never seen
such stupidity as in the last fours years since moving back into the old
place.

Tom G.