Old September 28th, 2011, 07:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
(PeteCresswell)

Default Outboard Motors: Water vs Air-Cooled?

I'm about to shop for a 1.5 or 2 hp outboard.

It's strictly for occasional use on an outrigger canoe when/if I
have to get through a strong tide situation or something goes
amiss and I need to get home the easy way.

I've never used or even seen an air-cooled outboard, but I see
them for sale.

They look tb significantly lighter and, I'd guess, more
bulletproof than water-cooled.

But I'd also guess that air-cooled is noisier than water-cooled:
the question being how much noisier.

Can anybody comment? Even though it would only be for
occasional use, I wouldn't want a chain saw or a weed wacker
back there....
--
PeteCresswell