Old September 23rd, 2003, 08:55 AM
Bill Kiene

Default Crab fly help

Craig,

Unless you are a fly tying maniac, you only need about 2 crabs for a permit
trip. On to tie on your leader and one for your hat.

Actually I was trying to be funny, as funny as you can be about permit
fishing. I tell my customers that a permit is like a Playboy bunny. They are
not interested in us either. Permit are not a nice fish. You only need about
6 to 12 crabs for a trip but if you really want to tie them, go for it.

In one of Jim and Kelly Watt's "Fly Fishing Video Magazine" videos on the
Ascension Bay Bonefish Club, they show Jan Isley tying his Rag Head Crab.
Vidoes or in person are hard to beat for seeing how to tie a fly.

You have the late Del Brown's Merkin crab, Craig Matthew's Turneffe crab,
George Anderson's McCrab, Jan Isley's Rag Head crab and Wil Bauer's crab.

You can tie them in different sizes (dime to a quarter), different colors
(creme and olive) and different sinkrates (bead chain or lead dumbbell
eyes).

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

"Craig Moore" wrote in message

Greetings from London, England.
Guys I need help in locating the materials for making sal****er crab
patterns for permit flies

I need to make the bodies for the Del Merkins crab Bauer's Fur Crab and
McCrab. These bodies look like they are two oval shaped pieces of material
glued together over the hook . What is this material and what website can

get it from? I need it in tan and olive.

Also do you know where do I get the colored rubber to make the legs?

Any help would be fantastic. Could you e-mail me any info at

Have a great day, go fly fishing?
Tight Lines,

Craig Moore