Old June 7th, 2007, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Fantom

Default wreck advice weymouth

Thanks everyone for the advice..appreciated

The rod type would be a maxximus solid c 8ft 12-20lb.

The skipper has indicated he will be fishing on the drift and at anchor
during the day.

What species could i aim for on this outfit at anchor?

"Chris" wrote in message
news
The 12-20 and 15lb braid would suffice, but if I had the choice I'd go for
the 12-20 20lb braid combination. You don't mention the rod type. I use
an uptider, the extra length makes for more fun, with an Abu 7000 loaded
with 10Kg (22lb) braid. I also use this combo for other types of fishing,
e.g. uptiding, float fishing for bass, black bream etc.

Don't forget to add a mono leader of about twice the rod length, and use a
trace slightly weaker than your braid, another reason for going for the
20lb option, then if/when you hook the wreck you reduce the risk of losing
expensive braid.

You should ensure that the skipper intends to target pollack, as these are
mostly caught whilst drifting over the wreck, whereas congers tend to be
taken at anchor. It may be that you'll be doing a bit of both, in which
case ideally you would want a 20-30 rod and a reel loaded with at least
30lb braid, i.e. two completely different outfits.

Talk to the skipper before committing yourself one way or the other. A
lot of the Weymouth skippers have gear you can borrow/hire for the day.

Tight Lines.

Chris.

Hi,

planning to go wreck fishing this month in weymouth, i intend to go
fishing
for pollock, not conger and ling.

1. Would a 12-20 class rod suffice or would i be better off with a
15-30lb?

2. An abu seven reel loaded with 15lb braid or should i load it with
20lb?

this is my first wreck trip and so im hesitant on buying new gear.

TIA