Old March 26th, 2004, 11:23 PM
Derek.Moody

Default Beginner: Tying Salmon Flys

In article m, JonnyMac
wrote:
Hi
I have been tying Dry fly's for a few months and would like to start tying
Salmon fly's and was wondering if anyone could tell me what materials I
should get (Which capes, hooks etc) to make a good range of fly's

That rather depends on which you intend to tie. Are these to be showcase
classic patterns or the contents of a working flybox?

Take a look at your flybox, which of the simpler flies do you use often?
Which use materials do you already have?

You can add surprisingly few items, use hackles from the other end of your
softer capes, add a few scraps from around the house and make quite a range
of useful flies. I'd suggest your first purchase might include some
stronger thread, a couple of flosses, some heavier silver ribbing and a
selection of dyed deer hair.

If you use them a tube attachment for the vice would be a useful gadget.

I wouldn't bother with built wings just yet.

Cheerio,