Old January 19th, 2006, 11:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default packable rain gear

Ken Fortenberry wrote:

Larry L wrote:

I have a wading jacket that keeps me warm an snug when I use it, and I
use it gladly whenever the weather is clearly going to be nasty most
of my fishing day. But it makes me feel like a hunchback it's so
large when stuffed into that big back pocket of my vest ... so I
prefer to leave it behind, when possible.

But, last 'summer' there were many days in Yellowstone that were
patchy nasty, mostly nice but every so often a cloud would roll in and
dump some rain or snow for a few minutes. The overall temperatures
are such that getting wet is not pleasant, and I'm in the market for a
very packable jacket/poncho/something that I won't mind carrying all
the time, that will keep me dry, and that will serve good windbreaking
duty when it's a bit chilly.

When it comes to comfort, I don't spare expenses .... so

suggestions?

This exact topic came up not too long ago, my recommendation
then and now, Marmot. Best rain gear I've ever owned.

Ditto. If you can still find it, Marmot makes/made a very lightweight,
and packable rain jacket. It looks to be the same material as some ultra
light sleeping bags, and stuff sacks are made of. I can ball it up, and
the whole thing will fit in my clinched fist. It takes up almost no room
in the back of my vest. It's minimal protection, but i've used it in
light showers with no problem at all.

brians