Old January 26th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Wolfgang

Default Fishing Scotland

"Greg Pavlov" wrote in message

Many of the waters in the US will eventually be
controlled in a similar manner, tho I would guess
there will also be a lot of access by lottery.

Maybe. Fly fishing has steadily gained in popularity for the last twenty
years and the trend certainly could continue, but there is no reason to
suppose that it is necessarily so. Consider, for example, the likelihood
that the average age of fly fishers is probably higher than that for many
other outdoor activities. I mean, let's face it, this isn't going to make
anyone's list of x-games. It's not unreasonable to posit that there are a
lot more fly fishers today largely because there are a lot of baby boomers
getting to the age at which waving a stick in the air seems a lot more
appealing that launching themselves through it by one means or another.
Eventually (and not all that long from now), we're going to begin pushing up
daisies at a higher rate than we are currently trampling them on route to a
favorite fishing hole, and there is no guarantee that new recruits will
arrive fast enough to make up for attrition. Then too, fly fishing as it is
practiced in the U.S. today depends pretty heavily on a general level of
affluence that we have come to take for granted for a couple of generations
but which recent evidence suggests may not continue indefinitely.

Wolfgang