Old April 6th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Tim J.

Default What's your favorite fly fishing book?

"Doug Kanter" wrote...
"Tim J." wrote...

snipped everything but the OE tutorial

Ya know, it's easy to set up OE so it does NOT discard messages you've read.
Tell it to "watch" the conversations you're interested in. Then, sort the
messages so the watched threads are always at the top of the list. Those
threads will be red. When there are unread messages in those threads, they
subject headers will be BOLD red. When you expand those threads, the unread
messages will be bold, while the ones you've read will be in normal type.
It's really a very uncluttered way of managing things.

See, here's the thing: You may have been interested in the bickering, but I
wasn't so why would I watch the thread? Then, when I see a random reply out of
the blue, I think I might be missing something and I'd like to know the context.
These here newsgroups are funny that way - the messages appear on ALL
subscribers 'puters whether or not they have the "watch" flag set. Hence, it is
just more courteous to include enough of the original message so we *all* know
WTF is going on.
--
Your skill-impaired friend,
Tim