Old September 14th, 2008, 04:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Default Sage rod advice, no pun

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 10:09:37 -0500, "Rodger"
wrote:

Thanks very much to you all for your advice.

One more question...

The other 'good' rod I lost was a G.Loomis, 10' ft., 9 wt, 2 pc.,
for fishing Canada. The only eqivalent Loomis rods I have found so
far are 4 pc. I have not been a fan of anything other than 2 pc. rods
but on a rod of that size it might not make that much difference. Any
opinions on that?

I'd offer the same advice all rods as to the objective stuff -
replacement cost, current model(s), etc.

As to the subjective stuff, well, um, it's subjective, but IMO, you'll
notice very little difference...well, probably no difference...in modern
graphite in the lighter weights, but a 9 is tickling around the
beginnings of a strength issue (IMO). OTOH, I doubt Loomis would offer
a rod that was a warranty issue waiting to happen, so I'd suggest
casting the 4 pc. and if you like it, replace and enjoy. As always,
YMMV.

TC,

Thanks again,

Buff
wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 09:15:34 -0500, "Rodger"
wrote:

I was recently rear ended on the highway resulting in the total loss

of
my Yukon along with three flyrods and reels. One of the rods was
a Sage RPL 590 Graphite III, 9', 5 wt., 2 pc....which is now an
unintentional 4 pc. For the insurance claim I have been trying to
establish what model Sage rod is an equivalent today. I would be
greatful for any advice.

If you're looking for guesstimates on a monetary value for your own
information, I'd say somewhere around $300.00 would be fair under the
circumstances (you got rear-ended, so they shouldn't do too much
quibbling if you are on the high side of reasonable), but given that

it
was such a popular, common series, a check on eBay ought to give a
pretty fair current "market value." Insurance adjusters use eBay for
such valuations, so many, even most, would readily accept such
documentation.

OTOH, If you're looking for an opinion as to a "performance/'feel'
equivalent" in the current Sage lineup, I have no idea what the "model
replacement path" would be to the current lineup. IIRC, the XP
generally replaced the RPL series, and again IIRC, the XP series has
been replaced at least 2 times, but ???

IAC, I'd call Sage and ask them and then get something in writing from

Sage dealer for the insurance company as to the current retail price

of
whatever Sage says is the replacement as I doubt they are interested

in
pricing opinions from a newsgroup when "real" documentation is readily
available.

TC,

Thanks

Buff