Old October 31st, 2004, 09:42 PM
Peter Charles

Default Short TR of a short trip

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 13:23:55 -0800, "bugcaster"
wrote:

"Peter Charles" wrote in message
.. .
FINALLY, I wet a line.

Blustery, cold, swirling winds -- oh ya, nice day.

I wanted steelhead,

Describes the latest trip to the Deschutes. I did not see anyone hook up,
but later learned that a few had caught fish on the same day. The ratio was
not good, and with my struggle on the spey rod, it was not likely I would
have been one to hook up. You have to believe it is possible, and I was
struggling with that concept.

The highlight was stopping in and getting some advice from John Hazel in
Maupin, and buying his DVD. I have watched the RIO video, and like the
Hazel DVD much better. The production is improved by the use of slow motion
and the excellent photography. I resisted buying a Loop, but my brother
bought a Blue Loop rod.

I've decided to sell my 13' 4" Hardy Elite when I get around to taking
photos. I'll soon enjoy a Blue Loop also.

Nice choice on the part of your brother, the 12'4" 8/9 wt. (1284) I
mentioned is a Loop Blue, also have the 7116. Very nice rods. Our
problem here is that the low September water levels haven't brought
the fish in so we're swinging to empty water. At one point the fly
wasn't riding right and I pulled it up for a look-see. Had a big
sucker scale stuck to it. So I did hit a fish, FWIW.

Don't get talked into a Windcutter for it, get either the Loop Adapted
system, the new Loop Quattro, or an Airflo Delta. I have a Windcutter
7/8/9 on the 8124 and it sucks. Today, if I let enough running line
out so that the line didn't come up hard on the reel, the T-8 head
wouldn't complete the turnover. I'd get a laser loop going out, then
the whole thing would drop into the water with 10' to 15' of the tip
still folded back. If I pulled in just three feet of running so that
the line would come up hard on the reel, then that shock was enough to
get the tip rolled out. I was using the T-8 (green) tip along with
Tip 2 -- not the best combo. Had no such problem using the Airflo
9/10 Delta + T-7 tip on the Daiwa. Rolled out as nice as you please
every cast.

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...ers/index.html