Old January 8th, 2009, 02:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Default Open Facebook Sandwich

On Jan 8, 9:28*am, "Daniel-San" (Rot13)
wrote:
"riverman" wrote ...

FB roffians:
There is a thread on the FB roff site you should take a quick look
at.

I've been on FB for a few (6?) months now. I've learned that much like on
USENET, there is no real privacy on FB. There are a few ways to minimize
"exposure" but all is discoverable. Google "facebook hacks" to see what a
moderately-determined person can find.

In the FB thread, a couple people have brought up concerns about people
seeing posts that, while pedestrian by roffian standards, may appear
incriminating to a less discerning audience. True enough that the potential
for exposure exists, but so does it here. It's really no different. Unless
you sockpuppet yourself here or have somehow magically managed to keep your
"real" name from ever being included (unlikely -- I tried and failed), if
someone wants to find what you've written, it's not too hard.

On the upside to USENET, not many people know of its existence, let alone
know how to access it. While that may give a facade of privacy, Google does
not exclude USENET posts from its search results, making the separation much
like the emperor's new clothes.

I'm not saying that it's not smart to have privacy concerns with respect to
FB exposure, just that there is little difference between FB and ROFF.
Everything on the internet (or, "series of tubes" for the Stevens fans) must
always be considered public.

-Dan
(who is leaving in a couple hours to chase steelies on the PM. Gonna be a
cold weekend.)

I tried a few times to find the ROFF group on FB. Can you help me? I
am a novice and have only posted here a few times recently.