Old March 28th, 2008, 11:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Default Bayou Redfish

Wayne Knight wrote:
On Mar 28, 3:14 pm, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

My question to roff, how does one go about catching a redfish
on a fly rod in a Louisiana bayou on April 30th ? The guide
recommends a 9wt., but floating, sink tip, full sink ? How
about flies ? I know absolutely nothing about fly fishing for
redfish. How about that, a virgin experience at my age. ;-)
I'm looking forward to it.

Personally I think a 9wt is a little heavy for redfish, my primary
redfish from a boat rod is a 7wt and I use an 8wt while wading. IMO,
Clousers and decievers are fine for searching casts or casting to
cruising fish. But my limited experience is that crab and shrimp
patterns work better on tailing fish which is the "classic" way of
locating and casting to them.
A quick google turned up this link for what its worth:
http://www.flyfishusa.com/flies/02-s...er-redfish.htm

For the most part floating lines are just fine but I always carry an
intermediate and fast sink polyleader just in case.

Good luck and have fun. I can send you a couple of crab/shrimp
patterns to play with if you'd like.

BTW, I used to attend the Jazz festival annually when I lived on the
gulf coast but have not been in a decade or more. Any chane you can
pick me up this year's poster (I used to collect them and still have
some)? I will of course reimburse you.

Thanks Wayne.

Yeah, a 9wt sounds like overkill for 10 to 12 pound fish but my
7wt is a 10' two piece (would be great in the kayak but a bitch
on the train to Nawlins), I have no 8wt but I do already have a
couple of 9wts. And that's what the guide recommends so what the
hell.

I'd be more than happy to pick up a Jazz Fest poster for you but
you can get one yourself (and fill in the blanks in your collection)
he http://www.art4now.com/store/index.asp

--
Ken Fortenberry