Old April 21st, 2008, 01:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
jeff miller[_2_]

Default losin and gettin the blues

George wrote:
When I was a kid we called the "snapper blues at that size. We used to catch
them off the train trestle at Lords Point by Stonington Ct. A couple of
years I used a Zebco 202 from spring until the end of our week at the shore.
After the week on the shore the reel would have locked up inside and I'd
need a new one next year..
George in Las Vegas

these were decent-sized, but definitely not the choppers we hope will be
running along the coast in may. they have caught a few of the big ones
offshore. this size is the best eating, but also tough on gear. i
probably lost 10-15 lures in cutoffs, and an equal number where the back
end of the plastic lure was bitten off. remedied that with crank baits
and trailing treble hooks. g when the blues are this thick, they
probably chase away the drum and trout. the blues are mean, aggressive
feeders. i got several of them to take near the surface, but most were
stalking baitfish deeper in the water. still, as you state, they are a
fun gamefish to chase with artificials and give a good tug on light tackle.

jeff