Old September 21st, 2009, 05:14 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
George Cleveland

Default Single Malts

Until this Spring I regarded some fishermens' attachment to single
malt whisk(e)y with the bemused detachmentt I reserve for people who
have let themselves be drawn into the fashionable and trendy.
Peppermint schnapps, beer and Wild Turkey were good enough for me and
pish on all those swells who name dropped boozes with long names and
large price tags.

Then I was allowed to taste some quarter cask Lamphroaig in April
along with some ridiculously expensive 38 year Scotch. Oh oh.

I bought a bottle of 10 year old Lamphroaig a few months ago and have
consumed about 3/4 of it in that time. The other day I came across a
bottle of Irish 1995 Knappogue Castle single malt on sale, and while
different than the Lamphroaig, I found myself really liking that too.

So my question to the ROFFians here is what else is there that is
tasty and less than $50/bottle? Anyone have a favorite? Does this make
me another elite, snobbish, flyfishing poseur, the kind I used to pity
and mock? And how should I feel about that?

?

Geo. C.