Old November 23rd, 2004, 02:16 AM
Todd Copeland

Default Bait Cast First Timer

"Jim" wrote in message
om...
Fortunately, I'm not totally inept and was making some very good casts
before heading back to the house about an hour later. I only had one
more overrun and caught it in time to make it a small one. The hardest
part to get through my head was how early in the cast you need to
release the spool.

Just thought I'd share this to ease the frustration of others new to
bait cast reels. For me, it's the lake tomorrow and then, after I've
built my confidence with this monofilament, some better line. I'll bet
some of the super braids will cast further.

Here are two mentions that might really help.

I think it's _far_ easier to cast a baitcast reel with a side throw, rather
then an over head throw. Which leads me to my second mention. Try casting my
twisting your wrist... _not_ by throwing your arm around like your throwing
a baseball. You will have _much_ better control over the line as, instead of
moving the reel and stopping it to draw out line, you will be letting the
lure build up speed and peel off line from the reel. I'm not sure I can
explain very well but try it. I think it will be much easier.