Old December 8th, 2009, 02:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bill McKee

Default Costa Rica

"Fred" wrote in message
news

On 4-Dec-2009, "Bill McKee" wrote:

For Tarpon, Bonefish you are going to be on the East side. The
Caribbean.

I do not think there is much flats fishing there. The Caribbean side is
rougher than any other place I have seen in the Caribbean and there are
lots
of Tiger Sharks that like to bite waders. They told us to stay out of
the

salt water when in Tortuguero. I fished, but not fly for Tarpon. The
Guide, Elvin, said they were deep at the time. I hooked 6 landed 4.
From

20 to 60# and lost an estimated 100# fish. The guide I used also does
fly

and said in October when the turtles hatch, you can catch all you want on
the surface, and everyone is spitting out baby turtles. I used
http://tortuguerosportsfish.tripod.com/

He speaks very good English, is married to an American Lady. Very nice
people. They can arrange for lodging also I think. We did a 3 day
package
to the area, and extended a day for fishing. 3 days would have allowed
all
the sightseeing and a day of fishing. Was I think $400 for the boat for
the
day, I went alone as wife does not fish. I was originally looking at Rio
Colorado, but it is maybe a 30-60 minute boat ride North. My daughter
and

husband flew in and got a sightseeing guide locally and stayed in a
smaller
pension. Was a lot cheaper than my trip. And better sightseeing guide.
We
stayed at Laguna Lodge. Did not fish the Pacific Side. Thought the
boats

were overpriced. Have an aquaintance that is a partner in Zancudo Lodge,
and people I know liked the lodge and fishing. South west part of CR.
We

spent a month in CR, and figured we were a week too long. Any questions
regarding the places we stayed, post here or email me.

Bill
Thanks -Real good info to get me further in planniing this trip
I just googled Zancudo Lodge - I will probably find others

My main concern, now, really is the safety of Americans - someone ( mayvbe
on this lisrt answered me by telling me to be wary - or aware of just
this.
I have no desire to ecer go back to Mexico.

It is still early in the planning for me and a friend to leave cold
Montana
behind for week or more - fishing.
Thanx again

Fred

Never had a fear for safety when we were there. And we go without room
reservations for most of a trip. The worst areas are on the Pacific Coast
where the surfers are. Lots of petty theft and be careful of the credit /
debit cards. Mostly the Tamarindo area.