Old December 2nd, 2006, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
[email protected]

Default Crab pots [folding]

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 05:35:19 +0000, Derek Moody
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
On Fri, 1 Dec 2006 16:14:14 +0000, Derek Moody
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
Hi
Does anyone know a supplier of crab/ lobster pots. I seem to

I did have a look at this site, but the pots seemed a little bulky for
what I had in mind. I do only want three or four max anyway!

In which case you might as well go the diy route. The only critical bit is
the entrance -

I did see an advert somewhere for a bait pot that would fold
completely flat when in transit. I though one or two of these thrown
off a pier or deep rock mark might take some of the backache out of
bait collecting.

but for this you could make up a soft (netting) entrance.

Two alternatives:

Pop-bottle prawn trap.
Cut the screw-thread off the top of a 2 litre pet bottle (pour the cola
down the kid's necks) Cut the neck off at the shoulder, turn it inside out
and push it into the body of the bottle.

_____________|_ | ______________
/ | \ | / /
( | \| ( /
( | |= (
( | /| ( \
\_____________|_/ | \____________\_
| |
Use a hot needle to make holes around the shoulder so you can 'stitch' it
together with heavy nylon. Use the hot needle again to perforate the body
of the bottle or it won't sink. Tie a retrieval line through a couple of
holes, weight with stones and bait with something decidedly rotten.
The flashy version uses the neck of another bottle to put a second
entrance at the other end.

Or the old standard bicycle-wheel-rim dropnet. Make sure you fit a cork to
the bridle so the lines float and you don't flip your catch out when you
lift. Put out three or four and pull them in turn. The trick is to make
sure that from the instant you start to lift you keep up a strong pull so
the flow of water through the net keeps the prawns in place. If you pause
an instant they'll be off...

Cheerio,

Many Thanks Derek,
Simple really, but I wouldn't have thought of it in a million
years.

Now I'm sure I saw some 2Litre + Beer bottles on sale at Asda
:-)

HN