Old February 15th, 2004, 04:36 PM
go-bassn

Default Skip casting under docks

I agree with Steve, stiff & short. Especially if there's only a few inches
of target to hit. A flimsy tip only detracts from accuracy in these cases.

Warren

--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/

"Steve & Chris Clark" wrote in message
Dale, personally, I use one that is stiff and short. One that the tip eye
comes close to the surface of the water while standing on the casting

deck.
Point the boat at the target so you can along the side of the boat and get
some good velocity to the bait. This way the height of the release is
already nice and low. Use the rod and reel that you are the most

proficient
with at first. I often use a long skip cast in open water and a quick
zoom-zoom-zoom/walk-the-dog to imitate a creature that has mistakenly
crossed domains and is struggling to get back out of the water. A deadly
tactic, if I do say so myself! Do this on several casts to the same area
and the theatre is set for a larger fish to take a look at some other slow
presentation to the bottom. For smallies off of a point where little

islands
and weedbeds and 30 foot water is in close proximity. Tubes ,curly tails
skip well and Sencos as the main coarse. Watch out for muskies too;-)
--
Stony
--

"Dale Coleman" wrote in message
Hi all, I have become curious about skip casting under docks and want
to try and learn how to do it. What type of rod works well? Fast
action spinning? What power, length and what type of butt. I have a
fast action 7 1/2 foot St. Croix Tidemaster that will for sure produce
enough lure speed for the skip but it may be a bit too long and the
long butt might get in the way of side casts. Anybody have any
favorites? What type of baits work well? Last but not least what line
works well? Seems to me the line has a tough job, got to be thin and
light for the fast cast but strong enough to pull the bass out of a
tight spot. I'm not a big fan of the braided lines but this might be a
real good job of one of them.

Thanks for any tips, DC
--
Dale Colemam