Old February 16th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

Default Skip casting under docks

"Dale Coleman" wrote in message
Hi all, I have become curious about skip casting under docks and want
to try and learn how to do it. What type of rod works well? Fast
action spinning? What power, length and what type of butt. I have a
fast action 7 1/2 foot St. Croix Tidemaster that will for sure produce
enough lure speed for the skip but it may be a bit too long and the
long butt might get in the way of side casts. Anybody have any
favorites? What type of baits work well? Last but not least what line
works well? Seems to me the line has a tough job, got to be thin and
light for the fast cast but strong enough to pull the bass out of a
tight spot. I'm not a big fan of the braided lines but this might be a
real good job of one of them.

I do a lot of skipping for bass. This is a deadly tactic and one that sees
very little use in my area. Last summer, I pulled three nice largemouth
from one dock while a guy on the neighboring docked looked on. He said that
he never knew that bass that size were in the lake!

For my skipping, I built a 7' fast action spinning rod with a lot of
backbone. I made it with a shorter butt section so that the handle wouldn't
get in the way. I use a Shimano Stradic 2500 MG and PowerPro 10/2. This
line is great for this application as I've had bass stitch the line around
supports, crossmembers and not break off. One bass had me so wrapped that I
just tightened up on him and moved the boat in close, ran my hand down the
line and lipped him, then, after he was released, I had to spend a couple
minutes untangling my line from the dock.

Fluke type lures, Senko types and unweighted tubes all skip well.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com