Old April 26th, 2008, 05:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing,rec.boats.cruising
Gregory Hall

Default Autopilots

Just what the world needs - another autopilot jetboat jerk who hasn't a clue
as to how to safely operate a boat blasting around the water becoming a big
nuisance and even larger menace to all concerned.

Take your autopilot, and overgrown Jetski for that matter, and shove it up
your ass!

--
Gregory Hall

"Larry" wrote in message
Time for a yearly update. I had a Bombardier Utopia - an 18' jet-powered
runabout that I added an autopilot to, but while it did work at higher
speeds, it failed miserably for trolling and fishing in general. Last
year I sold it and bought a center console Cobia, a 21' with a 150 hp
Yamaha outboard. I added a 15 hp (smallest I could get without ordering)
Suzuki outboard to use as a trolling motor. It is tied, mechanically, to
the larger Yamaha and sips fuel from the same large tank. It works pretty
well, and steers a straight course with no hands on the wheel.

Still, I'd like to add an autopilot IF (and only if) it can operate at
trolling speeds (about 1 knot or 1.5 mph). ComNav makes a few units which
look like they'd work, but I'd like to hear that from someone other than
the manufacturer or salesman, preferably someone who owns one. The boat
is equipped with a Garmin 540 combination fishfinder/GPS chartplotter
which issues NMEA sentences.
--

Larry
rapp at lmr dot com