Old June 10th, 2011, 12:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

Default Lightning strike

We had a bad electrical storm in camp yesterday afternoon. Copious
rainfall and many lightning strikes nearby, close enough to actually
shake the cabin. We stayed inside, of course, until the worst had
past, and then sat on the porch watching the storm as it moved east.

About 6 o'clock, I noticed dark smoke coming from the north shore of
the lake. Once before I have seen a lightning stike it that area start
a fire in a tree, but this smoke was different - it was very dark, and
there was lots of it. I notified Whit about it and he and I took the
small boat over to find out what was happening. Before we left the
dock we could see that it was the cabin built near the point that was
on fire. As we got closer we saw a boat with outboard tied to the
dock. The fire had completely engulfed the main log cabin and was
threatening a smaller cabin twenty feet to the west. We saw no signs
of life or evidence that someone was staying at the camp.

We raced back to the dam keepers house and the proper authorities were
notified. Meanwhile, Kirk, the damn keeper's son, loaded his boat with
hose, fittings, a Handy Billy water pump and gasoline to run it. By
the time we got back to the fire the second cabin was ablaze. We
worked hard to get the water to the second cabin, but it was too little
too late. The best we could do was stop the blaze from getting into
the woods. The earlier heavy rainfall helped contain the fire.

So, someone's very lovely remote fishing camp has been lost to one of
nature's random acts. Chances are the camp was not insured, making the
loss that much more difficult. Thankfully there was no loss of life
and no injuries fighting the fire.

OADN, fishing has been the best I've witnessed in more than a few
years. Big fish, big numbers, on both dries and nymphs. Unfortunately
we've also had big electrical storms with rain pelting down so hard
that it creeps into the nooks and crannies of the best raingear. Since
graphite conducts electricity, I am thankful that Frank is not in camp.

Dave