Old March 19th, 2011, 12:20 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

Default TR and Waldo

On 2011-03-18 17:24:08 -0400, jeff said:

ditto dave... upper wilson creek (far above your location, and just
down from grandfather mountain) is among the most beautiful in nc, but
it requires a young man's stamina and joints. spent many a day on it
with wally back in the late 90s and early 2000s. good to hear you're
out and about. you need to do a rafting trip on the south holston or
french broad with scott. ...and, if wally gets his false albacore trip
set in the fall, that's a treat too.

jeff

Albies, albies, albies. That's all Walt talked about at dinner. Sounds
like some kind of bug has bit him. He's got a sweet looking boat and has
invited me down come October. I guess I'll have to get yet another
rod/reel. I've done salt only a couple of time and really didn't enjoy
it. Perhaps Walt can convince me of its charm.

I did enjoy Wilson's. No more one day trips, however. To far to drive
for just a few hours of fishing.

Walt talked excitedly about getting together another Almond Boat Dock
Clave (roff's first clave). He asked if I thought that so-and-so would
come, and if this guy would come, etc. He seemed pretty excited about
it, so he just may put something together for the fall.

Dave

i'm still working on the sal****er fly fishing. it's a radical change
and tests one's casting stroke, but yields big, strong fish when you
hook one. speckled trout, 4-6 wt; puppy drum - 6-8 wt; blues and spanish
mackeral, 5-8 wt; false albacore, 9-10 wt. sal****er reels and lines;
big flies, some heavy. yup...a whole new outfit. the sal****er is 90
minutes from my home...the mountain trout are 5-7 hours away. so, i'm
trying to learn more about the sal****er fly fishing. i still think a
spinning rod is more efficient, and the lightweight gear is fun...but,
the fly fishing is a challenge. give it a go if you can...at worst,
it's a lovely boat ride.

i leave in the early a.m. for south andros and my first bonefishing
effort. yeah...i'm a bit buzzed about it. never seen a bonefish, so it's
fresh and makes me feel silly with anticipation, near about as much as i
recall feeling before first dates during my teen years.

jeff