Old September 3rd, 2004, 03:32 AM
Sarge

Default Conventional vs. Baitcasting

Bob wrote: "I was wondering what the big differences are between
conventional reels, and the bigger, beefier looking baitcasting reels?"

Bob, I believe what you are really asking is what is the difference between
conventional and low profile baitcasters.
Both are baitcasters. The big conventional reels like the Shimano Calcutta
or Penns Senator models or other similar brands and models are designed as
one poster put it with guts. Theses reels are used to catch bigger fish.
They come in level wind and unleveled wind. Some have more then one speed.
Then can be casted or just for drop shotting. Theses reels due require you
to stop the reel from spinning to prevent backlash. Theses reels are
typically used by surf fishing or drop shotting offshore.

The smaller baitcaster called low profile are good for catching fish
inshore. They are easier to cast because they are designed so your thumb
can stop the reel from spinning in a more natural grip. Most come with
anti-backlash features but this does not stop backlash if you don't use your
thumb to stop the spool from spinning.

There are 4 types of reels: spincast, spinning, baitcaster and fly. See
this site for a brief description and photo:
http://www.texasgulfcoastfishing.com/reels.htm

Sarge