Old March 20th, 2006, 08:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing,rec.outdoors.fishing.bass,alt.fishing

Default The Sport of Carp Fishing

The people who complain loudest are the same ones who fished out the Grand
Banks (now working on the North Sea)
At least Killing Carp allows edible fish a chance. A 3 pound carp (if you
can find one that small) Will smack a crawler like a 10 pound bass, streak
off like a bonefish and jump 4-5 times. At 10 pounds and over they are all
shoulders and brute strength with a blistering first run. On the river he
will head down current and you have to turn him before your line gives out.
Get him headed upcurrent and he's yours, play him like a salmon, just
enough weight to turn him onto the beach on his own power.

Yeah, I like 'em, but about 90% of them have got to go.

I have some pictures of carp spawning against a wall dam. The flatheads
feed on the spawn and a good time is had by all.
http://home.comcast.net/~thuxton/gonefishin02.htm

Pepperoni

"Brendan" wrote in message ...
Our best largemouth bass water here in the Western Cape in South Africa
was destroyed after carp established themselves. (Theewaterskloof.) A 400
million cubic meter dam that was once slightly tea stained is now a
mud-bowl and where it was once possible to land five or ten two kilo +
bass you are lucky if you catch one or two of 500 grams.

A male bass of a kilo doesn't stand a chance against a 10 kg carp intent
on rooting up the bottom thus covering the nest in silt.

If you care about bass fishing in your area you will kill every single
carp you catch.

Carp are as bad as some people say.