Old March 4th, 2006, 02:58 AM posted to rec.boats,alt.fishing,rec.outdoors.fishing

Default California sturgeon fishing will never be the same.

Hey Barney, I thought you died a few days ago. Welcome back.

I am shocked that you would be inclined to take the side of those who
will jump at every opportunity to reduce fishing. Shocked! This may not
apply to you, but there are those who don't actually get their hands
dirty in the outdoors but are the first to reduce its bounty to those
that do. I know the count of the sturgeon is not known. DFG recognizes
that fact, too. I admit that I don't know the count. But DFG pretends
to and then passes new regulations because that is easier to do than
enforcing the regs already on the books.

So now the law abiding fishermen cannot take a fish larger than 56
inches. Many of the larger fish are now reserved for the poacher,
courtesy of the State of California. They will not enforce the regs, so
only the law abiding fishermen will observe the new slot limit. Nothing
new there. The next step is they'll make the reduced slot permanent,
introduce sturgeon tags and punch cards and then add taxes to the mix
and define them as "fees". Same old bureaucratic response.

And then all the do-gooders will go home and proudly proclaim "We saved
the white sturgeon today!" And the poachers will have more fish than
ever while more and more law abiding fishermen get fed up and find
something else to do. And it all plays into the hands of PETA and other
environmental whackos. God bless America.

Dale
www. FishWisher.com