Old November 23rd, 2003, 09:14 PM
riverman

Default Flies for Tilapia?

"JR" wrote in message
riverman wrote:

Anyone know what they feed on, in general, and what flies would work on
them?

They're omnivorous; pretty much like little finny pigs--algae and all
sorts of other vegetative matter, insects, small fish. Most pond-raised
tilapia are fed pellets. Fish farmers in the Congo mainly feed them
agricultural produce (grain, grated cassava, etc.) ag. by-products, or
household and kitchen scraps. Suspended mosquito larvae imitations, small
PTs and small Adams will work. Be sure to pay the folks who own the pond.

Thanks. I read on a SA website that flies tied to look like corn worked
well, but that seemed a bit....unethical. I definately paid and will
continue to pay the pond owners: its a little R&R spot about 5 km out of
town called "Symphonie Naturelles", and they charge 1000CF to enter and
another 1000CF to fish, your gear or theirs, C&R or C&K (at the current rate
of 380CF = $1). They have a website that a search will find, I can't link
you to it because our internet server is down. I have no idea why I can
access the groups in the meantime.

Uhm, mfitons, if they are a generically interchangable bland-fleshed
whitefish, why would releasing them mean I don't know nothing about eating
fish? Doesn't sound like anything special to me at all, except a smelly
car.

--riverman