Old March 26th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Craig L.

O2, Craig has listed most and his post is good, I would also add a "V"
sheet and a waterproof torch and if you check the website for your state
authority that issues the boat licence, they will probably have details of
what is mandatory and what is recommended.

Another suggestion would be to check his boat and buy a container to hold
this stuff that is tailored to fit into an available space. That way he
will be happy with the gear as it won't get in the way or get damaged
floating round the boat.

The items I listed are all mandatory in Tasmanian waters with the exception
of the Heaving Line, First Aid Kit and Water, although I believe you would
have to be an idiot not to have them aboard. If you are heading outside
sheltered waters in a vessel under 6m all those items are mandatory as well
as
a VHF marine radio, 406 MHz EPIRB and a radar reflector.

As Mil80C said check with your owns states authority to see what is
recommended and what is mandatory. I also agree with Mil80C about the V
sheet and the waterproof torch, I don't carry a V sheet myself but I do
carry a good water proof torch and spare batteries.

Cheers
Craig
--
Conquer thyself, till thou has done this, thou art but a slave; for it is
almost as well to be subjected to another's appetite as to thine own.