Old August 19th, 2008, 10:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Marty

Default Baitcasting reels-the attractive antique that reel companies won't admit to

"AJ" wrote in message
.net...

Maybe, but I think he would have popped the bail open and taken the
loose line around the lower unit.

Popping a bail open is something I've never seen in 35 years of spinning.

I've had Northern that follow hit on
an L-turn or figure-8 close to the boat, but this wasn't like that. I
don't know how fast they can swim, but he was really moving parallel to
the boat and hit at a right angle 3' away. I was wearing polarized
glasses and saw the flash or I probably would have lost the rod. Not
real big just ~32" with a bad attitude. IMO the drag on a Calcutta is
about as good as it gets. My 150 is 5 years old, has taken salmon out
Lake Michigan, hauled up a 20lb. catfish, numerous Northern, Smallmouth,
and Largemouth out of the weeds.

My friend has a couple of Calcuttas and likes them a lot, but they're not
unique in their ability to land fish. Of course, baitcasters are better
suited for heavy line.

If you're getting 100+ loops
coming off at once you may be using a line that's too stiff for spinning
reels and/or allowing loops to form on the reel spool.

That may be, but I suspect it may be from not enough tension during the
retrieve with light surface lures, stop and go retrieves, or when bottom
bouncing a jig. Then a harder cast pulls it all off. Fortunately spool
changes are easy.

Sounds possible, maybe likely, but the idea is to maintain tension so as to
avoid the loops and changing of spools.