Old May 8th, 2004, 05:38 PM
Lazarus Cooke

Default fly line setup advice

In article , Andy
wrote:

Im in the west of Ireland and would like to do some fly fishing for
brown trout. I have looked on the net at setting up a fly rod and fly
line but have found no relevant information - mostly people trying to
sell tackle!

What I need is information on setting up the fly line itself
preferable in a step-by-step breakdown of the different sections,
lengths used and how to tie them together.

I have fished successfully with spinners but would now like to have a
go at fly fishing. Is it really so difficult to set up a fly rod?

I'd strongly agree that a tackle shop is a good place to start. Owners
love starting people off because they so easily become hooked
themselves!
Maybe a nine foot rod, about five or six weight (although you might
want something a bit longer if you're going to be fishing still waters
) I use a six-weight nine foot rod in the west of Ireland for brown
trout, white trout and summer salmon.

The great thing about this sort of fishing is that you need so little
gear - rod, reel, line, scissors and a few flies in a matchbox. Setting
up rod and line are simple; as the man says, you could do with a bit of
practical help on casting. Thereafter you go on and on improving - it
never stops.

Whereabouts are you?

Lazarus.

--