Penns Clave

Old May 19th, 2008, 11:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

Default Penns Clave

Okay, lots of rain, but that hasn't detered this plucky band of
fishermen. Right now, we're on Spring Creek in State College with an
amazing sulfur hatch and the fish are going nuts. Its so easy, even
I'm catching tons of fish. Penns is blown out, so it should be a
couple of days before it's fishable.
Cheers all.
Frank Reid
By the way, love that Yeaungling.
Old May 19th, 2008, 11:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Mon, 19 May 2008 15:36:02 -0700 (PDT), Frank Reid
wrote:

By the way, love that Yeaungling.

Just got a case of it from my grandson who visited Virginia over the
week-end.

Will take it to the Rapid on Sunday.

Old May 21st, 2008, 11:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

Fished Big Fishing Creek today. Every time the bugs started to come
off, it would start to rain. This is a bit frustrating.
Frank Reid
Old May 21st, 2008, 11:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Wed, 21 May 2008 15:13:10 -0700 (PDT), Frank Reid
wrote:

Fished Big Fishing Creek today. Every time the bugs started to come
off, it would start to rain. This is a bit frustrating.

Frank, you need to come up to Maine. It's *fun* fishing in the rain,
and the bugs come off rain or shine.

Penns is a fun place to fish, but when it rains........

Old May 22nd, 2008, 01:58 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

wrote:
Fished Big Fishing Creek today. *Every time the bugs started to come
off, it would start to rain. *This is a bit frustrating.

Frank, you need to come up to Maine. *It's *fun* fishing in the rain,
and the bugs come off rain or shine.

Penns is a fun place to fish, but when it rains........

Dave

Hey Dave:
Where in the GSoM are you? Let's fish this summer. I'll be home from
mid july to mid august. Send me some contact info, and I'll call you.

--riverman
Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:54 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Wed, 21 May 2008 17:58:08 -0700 (PDT), riverman
wrote:

Where in the GSoM are you? Let's fish this summer. I'll be home from
mid july to mid august.

Wanna do the Rapid and the Magalloway? Best time, of course is June
and September, but I think we could find a few willing brookies and
landlocks in mid-August. Last half of July I volunteer as a cook at a
kids camp, so it will have to be August, the later the better.

They have a helluva lot of water up there - lots of snow this year.
Last I heard they were only running 800 cfs out of Middle Dam. I am
heading up on Sunday for a month, so I expect they will open it up to
some ungodly flow, like 5600 cfs. d;o( It's fishable if you have a
boat/motor. I have a boat and motor.

I'm in Massachusetts now. Look me up when you arrive in the States.
I'm in the book.

Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:02 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

wrote:
Where in the GSoM are you? Let's fish this summer. I'll be home from
mid july to mid august.

Wanna do the Rapid and the Magalloway? *Best time, of course is June
and September, but I think we could find a few willing brookies and
landlocks in mid-August. *Last half of July I volunteer as a cook at a
kids camp, so it will have to be August, the later the better. *

They have a helluva lot of water up there - lots of snow this year.
Last I heard they were only running 800 cfs out of Middle Dam. *I am
heading up on Sunday for a month, so I expect they will open it up to
some ungodly flow, like 5600 cfs. *d;o( *It's fishable if you have a
boat/motor. *I have a boat and motor.

I'm in Massachusetts now. *Look me up when you arrive in the States.
I'm in the book. *

Dave

Sounds great, Dave. Last year I bushwhacked into the Rapid from the
South...wasn't familiar with the roads on the north side, so I found a
post somewhere where someone gave the GPS coordinates coming in from
the south. Then I just parked on the side of the dirt road and hacked
my way due north until I hit the river, and came out just below the
remains of Lower Dam. Had a great time fishing, but it was completely
ignorant of the lay of the river, etc, so it would be a real treat to
fish it with someone who knows his way around. I cast for an hour or
so from the Upper Dam also (hiked in from the gate), but it was
unproductive.

I'll track you down when I get back home, but I might need more info,
especially if you're off fishing. Is that you in Biffedid?

Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:58 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Thu, 22 May 2008 03:02:41 -0700 (PDT), riverman
wrote:

I'll track you down when I get back home, but I might need more info,
especially if you're off fishing. Is that you in Biffedid?

No. I live in Hudson, Mass. Look me up when you arrive. Like I
said, the last part of July I'll be cooking for some kids at camp, but
I'll be home every night.

Looking forward to it.

Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Zimbo

On May 22, 6:02*am, riverman wrote:
Then I just parked on the side of the dirt road and hacked
my way due north until I hit the river, and came out just below the
remains of Lower Dam. Had a great time fishing, but it was completely
ignorant of the lay of the river, etc, so it would be a real treat to
fish it with someone who knows his way around. *I cast for an hour or
so from the Upper Dam also (hiked in from the gate), but it was
unproductive.

Just stand right below the dam and fish a bead-head pheasant tail
nymph all day.

--Steve