Another Frog Bait

Old July 22nd, 2005, 02:17 AM
Bob La Londe

Default Another Frog Bait

I was digging through some of my stuff when I ran across another frog bait.
A Seizmo. I don't remember buy them, there they were in withthe rest of the
bedraggled frogs in my frog box.

Not wanting to wait and see I rigged on on a Daiichi 5/0 EWG hook. I took
it out to the pool and pitched it a couple times. It was much lighter than
I expected. I had to readjust the reel substantially from throwing senkos
on it. Thats a big chunk of plastic to be so light. I tossed it out on the
pool and low and behold it floats. With those club foot (sassy shad style)
trailign legs it really has some action on a straight retrieve as well.

I'm not convinced that's the best hook for the bait, but I can't imagfine
stuffing a regular double frog hook up its ... um... well you get the idea.

Anyway, if I can figure out what hook and rod to use for it for the best
results I think it will make a nice in between bait. Not quite a popper,
and not quite a buzzbait, and still able to be fished in the heavy grass
when a frog bite is on. Maybe even drag a treble hook off the bottom of the
wide gap in open water. Hmmmm....

With just the wide gaphook I am think medium heavy rod with braid for a hard
hook set. 1 2 3, jerk the tree trunk out. If I try the treble trailer in
open water I imagine I might be able to get by with the same rod, but I'll
have to back the drag way off. I'm thinking it might behoove me to be ready
to fish it on a medium action rod. Hmmmmm....

Any ideas? Comments?

--
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Old July 22nd, 2005, 03:08 AM
Bob La Londe

As long as we are talking about frogs, and I am starting to get a
fascination with them...

I dug out some of Gilbert's "famous" moss frogs to play with. The ones he
decided to create after he got back from fishing the Ca. Delta. I rigged
them on the same rod and hook as I tried with the Seizmo. Its an almost but
not quite neutral bouyancy. It sinks so slow it almost makes you think it
will float back to the surface. I bet it will work over grass very nicely.
Its a better jerk frog than the seismo. A series of faint twitches as you
retrieve it makes this bait come alive. It sits a lot deeper in the water
on retrieve than the seizmo, but still makes a mild surface disturbance. I
think it will make a very nice niche filler next to the Seizmo frog.

Also tried a "popping" frog that Gilbert gave me. Sorry Gilbert. This one
doesn't seem to work for me. Maybe as a drop bait. It hits the water with
its super realistic legs all akimbo, but its retrieve is nothing exciting.
Atleast not to me. You can make it pop, but it takes a pretty fast retrieve
to do it. I'll have to play with it some anyway. I mean, whoever thought a
senko would turn out to be such a fish catching tool as it did.

--
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Old July 22nd, 2005, 05:01 AM
RichZ

Bob La Londe wrote:
I was digging through some of my stuff when I ran across another frog bait.
A Seizmo. I don't remember buy them, there they were in withthe rest of the
bedraggled frogs in my frog box.

If you're into frogs at the moment... I think the last time I brought
out Penelope Frog for a stroll was before you frequented these parts.

http://www.richz.com/fishing/images/penelope.jpg

Now THAT's a frog!
Old July 22nd, 2005, 06:51 AM
Bob La Londe

"RichZ" wrote in message
Bob La Londe wrote:
I was digging through some of my stuff when I ran across another frog
bait.
A Seizmo. I don't remember buy them, there they were in withthe rest of
the
bedraggled frogs in my frog box.

If you're into frogs at the moment... I think the last time I brought out
Penelope Frog for a stroll was before you frequented these parts.

http://www.richz.com/fishing/images/penelope.jpg

Now THAT's a frog!

Very nice. Its a nice color lamination like Gilbert's moss frog for the
front with the legs off his popping frog in the back. I'll have to post
some pictures of them. Hopefully hanging from the mouth of a big bass. LOL

--
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Old July 22nd, 2005, 11:44 AM
alwaysfishking

Bob,

Do yourself a favor and gets some horny toads, fish like toads way more
than frogs, talk about action.. you don't know what your missing

Old July 22nd, 2005, 02:27 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"alwaysfishking" wrote in message

Bob,

Do yourself a favor and gets some horny toads, fish like toads way more
than frogs, talk about action.. you don't know what your missing

I don't necessarily agree with that statement. When I was in college, a
friend of mine's dad ran the muskie hatchery in nearby Woodruff.

Guy and I would catch a bunch of leopard frogs and toads, take them down to
the rearing pond and feed the young muskies. The frogs were taken
immediately and gulped down. We'd get the muskies whipped into a feeding
frenzy and then toss in a toad. They'd hammer it and immediately spit it
out. The toad would float to the surface, struggle and a different muskie
would hit it and spit it again. We never saw the same muskie take a toad
twice.

Evidently they secrete something that tastes nasty to fish that frogs don't.
The frogs that were fed were taken and immediately swallowed, never to be
seen again. Most of the toads made it back to shore, battered, bruised and
torn, but never eaten.

The Horny "toad" lures might work better than a similar frog lure, but the
real critters? Give me frogs over toads any day.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old July 22nd, 2005, 10:10 PM
alwaysfishking

Come on Steve, we don't fish with real frogs :-) Rubber toads are far more
tastier than rubber frogs, especially with some garlic dipped legs!!!!

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...