Penns Creek

Old March 1st, 2006, 12:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default Penns Creek

"Dave LaCourse" wrote in message
On 28 Feb 2006 18:55:39 -0800, "Frank Reid"
wrote:

Fishes there every week?

There and Spruce Creek, but I interpreted it as "No big deal."
"Is it really that good?"

?

Does he catch fish?

Good question.

Hm.....

Maybe somebody should ask him.

Wolfgang

Old March 1st, 2006, 02:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Well, I live in Pine Grove Mills which is like two miles away from State
College. I am about a twenty minute drive from a good stream in just about
every direction. Except for Spruce, it runs through my neighbor's yard.

Old March 1st, 2006, 02:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

I catch fish. Hell, I caught at least two that I can remember last year. I
was just curious about Penns because there are four or so streams around
here that we all talk about more. Penns has some good hatches, but so do
the others. I simply wondered if I was missing something when I was going
there.

Old March 1st, 2006, 02:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Benjamin Turek" wrote in message
I catch fish. Hell, I caught at least two that I can remember last year.

Hm....

Well, two fish per year from a stream that you work every week suggests a
REALLY poor stream (in which case your question.....if not necessarily your
dedication.....makes perfect sense), a mnemonic deficiency of some sort (a
medical matter outside the purview.....let alone the competence.....of this
group), or a critical need for a review of angling basics.

I was just curious about Penns because there are four or so streams around
here that we all talk about more.

We'll show you ours if you show us yours.

Penns has some good hatches, but so do the others.

So we've heard.

I simply wondered if I was missing something when I was going there.

Evidently, yes.

Wolfgang

Old March 1st, 2006, 03:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

I didn't literally mean two fish, but I am sure that you knew that. I'd
show you mine, but most of it you need permission from the owners to fish.
They tend to disregarded coniving, down talkers which you tend to come off
as, so I won't waste either of our time.

Old March 1st, 2006, 03:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On 3/1/06 10:01 AM, in article yHiNf.2425$SJ2.2024@trndny01, "Benjamin
Turek" wrote:

I didn't literally mean two fish, but I am sure that you knew that.

Inference is a difficult thing with this kind of forum, especially between
two people who do not know each other. When someone says "I caught at least
two that I can remember last year", the "at least two" would tend to infer,
to me, that you caught less than a half dozen fish. For a stream that close
to you, which you (apparently, again) fish, or could fish, with some
regularity, that ain't a great batting average.

Not that I'm throwing stones. Penns kicks my pasty white backside each time
I encountered her. I've fished the water exactly twice, for a handful of
days each time, and though I've not counted my catch, I'd say I caught a
dozen fish over those two outings. And I feel pretty accomplished by doing
so!

Another aspect that a newcomer to ROFF might not pick up on is that when we-
many of us anyhow- talk about Penns, we are talking about more than the
fishing and the hatches. Our annual conclaves on the shores of that fine
water are social gatherings as well as fishing gatherings- the social part
being as important, or more so, to many ROFFians as the flies, hatches, and
trout. When you read "Penns" here on ROFF, many times what is being
referred to is the event, rather than the river.

Fishing-wise, personally, I feel much more at home on Big Fishing Creek.
Penns intimidates me. shrug Penns the river, not the clave, that is
(although the clave intimidated me for about 10 minutes the first time I
attended. Meeting (first) Joel and (second) Tom did away with any further
intimidation factor. Fishing the Axelrad stretch with several chimps
watching from the shore, however, was a baptism I'd rather not encounter
again... :-)

I'd
show you mine, but most of it you need permission from the owners to fish.
They tend to disregarded coniving, down talkers which you tend to come off
as, so I won't waste either of our time.

Just a suggestion here, Benjamin- so far you ain't exactly coming off all
peachy yourself.

Bill

Old March 1st, 2006, 03:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

That is more along the lines of what I was talking about. I was wondering
if there was something else to it than the fishing, because the fishing is
good, but its not the best around this area. And all of the sudden it
becomes how many fish do you catch, etc... I was just wondering if there
was something else to it. Nothing crazy, like I said I just started reading
this group about two months ago and was curious why so much talk about
Penns.

Old March 1st, 2006, 05:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On 3/1/06 10:58 AM, in article YwjNf.1763$%a2.1093@trndny05, "Benjamin
Turek" wrote:

That is more along the lines of what I was talking about. I was wondering
if there was something else to it than the fishing, because the fishing is
good, but its not the best around this area. And all of the sudden it
becomes how many fish do you catch, etc... I was just wondering if there
was something else to it. Nothing crazy, like I said I just started reading
this group about two months ago and was curious why so much talk about
Penns.

Don't get me wrong. While it would be hard to argue that there is a wealth
of excellent fishing in central PA, you might get some argument with your
assessment of the fishing on Penns. Not from me as I haven't the
experience, but stay tuned. There are some here for whom very little is
needed to initiate argument, and still others who fondle Penns as if it were
a lovely maiden.

Moreover, making the somewhat swaggering pronouncement that there is much
better fishing in nearby closed rivers, rivers to which you have no
intention of helping us find or access, well, what is the point in saying
that? I mean, other than raising people's hackles. In particular, the
topic of private, closed water in PA is a hot button topic and bragging
about it will likely invite argument and ill will, regardless of your
intention to share.

Bill

Old March 1st, 2006, 05:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

William Claspy wrote:
snip
Moreover, making the somewhat swaggering pronouncement that there is much
better fishing in nearby closed rivers, rivers to which you have no
intention of helping us find or access, well, what is the point in saying
that? ...

What's with all the scolding ? Don't you librarians ever
get tired of having your hair bun wrapped too tight ? ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old March 1st, 2006, 06:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On 3/1/06 12:44 PM, in article
, "Ken Fortenberry"
wrote:

William Claspy wrote:
snip
Moreover, making the somewhat swaggering pronouncement that there is much
better fishing in nearby closed rivers, rivers to which you have no
intention of helping us find or access, well, what is the point in saying
that? ...

What's with all the scolding ? Don't you librarians ever
get tired of having your hair bun wrapped too tight ? ;-)

Shhhhh!

:-)

(and c'mon, you could at least have given me kudos on the "caress" thing.
I'm kinda proud of that one! :-)