10wt sal****er rig

Old January 26th, 2011, 11:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Default 10wt sal****er rig

Have an 8wt 4pc Sage z-axis, Abel Super 8 reel, Sharkskin line --
great bonefish rig.

Have a 12wt Orvis Helios, Galvan reel. Lightweight rig for a 12wt, but
still a workout to cast.

I need 10wt rig -- rod, reel, line. The reel and the line are settled.

The line is Sharkskin, 10 or 11wt.

The reel is Waterworks VANQUISH 10,
http://waterworks-lamson.com/products/vanquish/

Waterworks is an interesting local company. Made in Idaho, America.
Started as cutting-edge mountain bike designers. Thought about fly
reels, bought Lamson, and now they're making the sweetest form-follows-
function reels I've ever seen. Their drag system alone is superb
compared to the old-style cork crap you get with Tibor and Abel. And
when they say large arbor, they mean REALLY large arbor. Drag and
takeup are IMO the most important features for the reel of my choice.

I'm undecided about the rod. Suggestions?

Old January 27th, 2011, 12:24 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

I'd stick with what you know works, RW, namely Sage. Loomis is
supposed to be making a pretty good salt rod in their GLX series. On
the high side, but.......

Old January 27th, 2011, 12:26 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2011-01-26 19:24:13 -0500, D. LaCourse said:

I'd stick with what you know works, RW, namely Sage. Loomis is
supposed to be making a pretty good salt rod in their GLX series. On
the high side, but.......

Dave

Forgot to ask: What's the 10 wt for?

Old January 27th, 2011, 12:29 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On 2011-01-26 19:24:13 -0500, D. LaCourse said:

I'd stick with what you know works, RW, namely Sage. *Loomis is
supposed to be making a pretty good salt rod in their GLX series. *On
the high side, but.......

Dave

Forgot to ask: *What's the 10 wt for?

Dave

He's obviously working on an inside straight.

--riverman
Old January 27th, 2011, 01:23 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On 2011-01-26 19:24:13 -0500, D. LaCourse said:

I'd stick with what you know works, RW, namely Sage. *Loomis is
supposed to be making a pretty good salt rod in their GLX series. *On
the high side, but.......

Dave

Forgot to ask: *What's the 10 wt for?

Dave

He's obviously working on an inside straight.

--riverman

Perhaps the most interesting eupehemism for an erection I have ever
encountered.

giles
who knows the boy will have to look long and hard.
Old January 27th, 2011, 01:47 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

On 1/26/2011 6:41 PM, wrote:
[...]

take a look at the loomis nrx rod. i just bought a 9 wt. i'm still
struggling with sal****er flyfishing, mainly the need to be a better
than average caster with heavy flies, but have decided to give it a
reasonable attempt. i confess that my decision to get the loomis was
based on reading a report of several "experts" who compared all of the
new sal****er rods. they all...to a man...ranked the loomis tops. i
haven't fished with it yet...but plan to soon. it has a good action and
a sturdy spine, i think. i plan to use it for false albacore, mackeral,
bonefish, small tarpon.

i have four of the waterworks-lamson reels, 3 of the hard alox for
sal****er... guru 3.5 and velocity 3.5 for 9 wt, and a velocity 4 for 10
wt. (also a guru 1.5 for 4 wt). i like all of them a lot. the velocity 4
has survived two seasons in the salt environment, with the most use last
year. we'll see how long they last, as i'm not the best on maintenance,
but they seem made for sal****er use, easy to maintain, and at a good
price point.

jeff
Old January 27th, 2011, 02:56 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
flebow[_2_]

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 15:41:49 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

[...]

Quite a few years age - its a long story-
The airlines lost a 9 wt on a tarpon trip
There was a settlement that I would puchase an outfit to replace my
gear and i would be re imbursed
So of course I went for a Sage 10 wt and a Bauer reel
They do not get much use now but w my Sage as w other Sage rods I can
cast to a dime
We have -3 Waterworks reels on 5 & 6 wt Orvis , T & T and TFO
rods for guests at our place They are sturdy reels as I am also hard
on gear.

The Sage rods 3 wt, 5wt, 6wt and 9 wt are only for me

Good luck on your search
Frrd

Fred
Old January 27th, 2011, 02:58 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On Jan 26, 5:41*pm, " wrote:
[...]

Got an Albright A-5 5 piece 9' 10wt, never used. If you want to
borrow it, can do. Can send along a Cabelas Prestige line (sal****er)
in a WF 10 to compliment it, reel too. None have been near water and
unless the orcas renew their annual migration up the Missouri to the
Platte after the Sandhill cranes, ain't got nothing to us it on.
Send me your addy and its in the mail.
Frank Reid
Also got a full sink line around here somewhere that should match the
rod.
Old January 27th, 2011, 03:14 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Knight

On Jan 26, 6:41*pm, " wrote:

I'm undecided about the rod. Suggestions?

Sage Xi3 or Winston BIImx. Loomis has their new series Jeff mentioned
and I've played with the smaller weights but I prefer the Xi2 which
the Xi3 replaced and the Winston in the heavier weights. They load
very quickly,are easy to generate line speed even without the double
haul, and have plenty of lifting power when you misjudge the size of
the fish you're casting to and end up with a fish better fought with a
12wt. For what its worth, I am going to the get the Xi3 in the 12wt
before I head to Venezuela.

I'm not a fan of the Lamson/Waterworks family due to some drag failure
and other issues I had several years ago. I hope you have better luck
with them than I did.

Old January 27th, 2011, 05:08 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
flebow[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Its a Sage Graphite III 1090- 3 pc RPLX w a Bauer M4 reel
(I am no gear hound)
This was quite a while ago - at leat 10 or 13 yrs as my granddaughter
was not born
I was like a kid in a candy store at the flyshop where i purchased
all in FL

2 weeks later my original 9wt showed up at my house - mailed
I do not feel sorry for the airline

Like Frank
This does not get a lot of use now so - only if you promise to catch
fish I would also loan it to you.

Depending upon where I convince my wife to go on vaca
I may use it again someday - hopefully.

It did not land a tarpon - that trip - but plenty of snook

Fred