Red Snapper rigging and bait

Old April 4th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Ray E. Edmundson

Default Red Snapper rigging and bait

I'm looking forward to the open of Red Snapper season (4/21) I'm going
down to Port Aransas, TX and will either being going out with a friend
in a 22' or if it's too rough I'm going to take a head boat. Any
suggestions regarding tackle/rigging/bait? I prefer to use my limit on
larger fish. What size hooks? Flourocarbon? If I have to take the
head boat, I believe they supply mullet and squid. I would be limited
to a couple of jigs and maybe some other frozen bait in my cooler. Any
other hints? Thanks.

Old April 5th, 2004, 02:42 AM
Allen

Ray
I'm just going to tell you what they use on the east coast of Fl.,
off shore Daytona Beach, Ponce Inlet area.
most use a 6 to 8 oz. egg sinker slider rigged over a "# of you choice"
black swivel tied to 36" piece of 30/40# fluorocarbon leader with about
a 5-0 to 7-0 short hook.. use 60# power pro or like line that has no
stretch and fish about 5 to 8 feet above the wreck ... small
live pin fish or anything alive... when they bite, hit them now and
get them coming your way before they get back to cover...
mono line stretches too much ....and they can hang you.
Fish too close to the wreck, and you loose, and too far no bites..
hope I have helped... allen... http://sea4two.net

Old April 5th, 2004, 05:01 AM
Wag

I have been Snapper fishing on several charters off the coast of Louisiana
in the past few years. The rig of choice was a 6 foot rod with 50 LB mono
on a Senator non leveling reel. Attached to the line was a three way swivel
and a two (6) foot leaders. One leader had a 8 ounce teardrop weight
attached (30 Lb test). The other leader had a single snellled # 6 circle
hook attached (100 Lb test). Bait of choice was live hardtails caught on
the way out but we also used dead porgies. Leaders were 100 Lb test

Below is some information I found that might be helpful.

Re-frozen bait from the last trip (when available) should be used as chum or
in some cases it is still usable as backup bait. Cigar Minnows, Silver
Sardines, Herring, and Mackerel all are options for good bait . Try large
Spoons, Jigs (weighted), double drop leaders , and single hooks with
different combinations bait. Pogy oil soaked bait is another option that can
increase productivity. Multiple baits on a single hook will in fact
encourage Amberjack, Grouper, and larger Snapper. For extra feel use an
Ambassador reel with Spider Wire backed with mono. Use more of what works
best on each spot, and don't guess, keep a Log.
Here are a few more tips on baits and rigs.

Squid and cut bait should be limited.
Use Sturdy hooks with slightly curved shank.
Barrel swivels only. No clips.
Mono pink or blue. Avoid yellow and green.
Leader 50 to 100 lbs. and not much heaver.

Sow Snapper do not always hit your bait with that slam-bang bite. A slower
, more gradual bite is typical of a larger snapper. She may toy with your
bait for longer than a full minute. It helps to hook your bait thru the
mouth, out the gills and then back into the body down as far as the tail.

When fishing structure you will typically show a large mass of tightly
packed fish. This is the Christmas Tree Effect. This is more than likely the
apex of the obstruction. This is a good place to start for the first pass
and you will probably get instant bites. Larger fish are usually spread out
away from this point. They can be located with a good depth recorder and
show up as larger individual marks. Remember they are not always on bottom
and they can be as far off the apex as 100 yards or more.

Drifting , or holding position can be more exact than trying to anchor in
the exact spot. If you have three fisherman then us three different rigs. I
recommend , one sow rig with a single egg sinker and one hook, a one (1) to
four (4) oz. Jig , and one double drop rig. All with a barrel swivel on top
, good sturdy hooks and 80 to 140 lb mono. The line should be pink or blue.

Sarge

Old May 11th, 2004, 03:05 AM
mono sect

"Allen" wrote in message
Ray
I'm just going to tell you what they use on the east coast of Fl.,
off shore Daytona Beach, Ponce Inlet area.

My buddy and I went spear fishing yesterday off Daytona and got three nice
20lb.'ers. I also bagged a 25-30lb gag. She was probably part of the huge
Jew (300+) Fish harem we saw in the rubble. There were hundreds of Red
Snapper down there!!

As much as I've tried to fish on top I never have as much luck as down deep.

I can hardly wait for next time.

MS

Old May 14th, 2004, 03:36 AM
BuZZard

"mono sect" wrote in message

"Allen" wrote in message
[...]

I caught massive grouper on frozen sardines.. 6 and 7 inch long ones.. I
hook
em right thru the eyes.. Live pin fish are great too.. and I agree with
the above post
on riggin... catch a big one.. and don't get sick.

Old May 14th, 2004, 04:47 AM
Sarge

Try live hard tails to catch them with. Last trip I was on we stopped at
several buoys and caught hard tails. Several very large snapper were caught
on that trip but between using dead porgies or live hard tails the hard
tails caught the bigger fish.

Sarge