Need help finding an underwater Baetis fly

Old August 13th, 2010, 12:55 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

Default Need help finding an underwater Baetis fly

On 2010-08-12 16:17:22 -0400, personaobscura
said:

Dude, if past is prolog, here's your best bet: just ignore him, and don't
answer his posts, period. He will work himself into an even bigger lather,
eventually his head will implode, he'll post another memorable screed accusing
you of committing every heinous crime ever thought of that will burn forever
in the archives along with the rest of his life story, and give the rest of
those that frequent this group another reason to avoid him at any cost.

Get a job, troll.

And pay your taxes.

Old August 13th, 2010, 01:01 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2010-08-11 20:30:26 -0400, Giles said:

On Aug 11, 11:13*am, Todd wrote:

p.s. as an aside, the picture that goes with a fascinating
explanation by Ralph. *Those of you that love the
biology behind such things will find the male's
imitating the females behavior fascinating as well.
The code to oviposit must not be on the X-Y gene
sequence. *You can never know enough about trout
or their food. *(My opinion, yours my vary.)

Can't help you with your question but if your interested in the sexua

quirks of bugs and other crittes you should read "Dr Tatiana's Sex
Advice to All Creation" by Olivia Judson, an extremely interesting an

edifying look at evolutionary biology.

giles
p.s. *watching you twist davie into ever tighter little knots is
hilarious, whether not not it's intentional.....and, no, i couldn't
care less either way.

Davie? *Knots? *heeheehee *I am enjoying myself, Wolfgang. *Im

men
sely
aamof. *I can hardly wait until he discovers google.

Davey

You're an idiot.....and a pig.....and a liar.

g.

d;o) *And you are so predictable. *A one trick pony.

d;o)

Imbecile.

g.

Giddy up, pony. Giddy up.

Old August 13th, 2010, 01:02 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Aug 12, 6:23*pm, Todd wrote:

...I am hermetically corny....

One suspects that one dare not disbelieve it.....whatever the hell it
might mean.....even if one wanted to.

-T

g.
from the recondite-r-us desk.

Old August 13th, 2010, 01:02 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2010-08-12 15:14:12 -0400, Todd said:

On 08/12/2010 11:30 AM, D. LaCourse wrote:

Oh, yes. And everyone need a stalker in their life. Thank you
for noticing.

Or a pony. But Giles is only a one trick pony. Don't count on him for
very much more than that. And he loves to stalk too.

For some unexplained reason, Giles is actually endearing.

Yes, and cuddly too.

I can not explain why.

No one can.

*I am still waiting for him to honor
my request and call me a "nitwit". *Giles is Giles. *And
he righteously called you on your behavior.

He did? *Who'da thunk it.

Stalkstalkstalk. *Everyone of roff stalks.

If I were they rest of you, I would take offense. *They are
gentleman. *They do not stalk. *You do. *Do any of them
call others stupid or swear at them because they do not
like the caliber of their questions/comments? *Do the rest of them
seek out (stalk) any other individuals and actively try to
discredit them? *You are the one that acts like a prat.
And, with the exception of one other person, the rest respect my
request for anonymity.

You really believe that? *Come out of your closet, fish with these guys
and you will get to know them. *Fortenberry's words and advice to you
are very true. *Anonymous people, especially with anonymous/fake isp
are not the same. *If I or someone else wanted to speak privately to
you with advise or whatever, how could they reach you. *They can't. *
You are a black hole asking dumb questions, and acting like a troll. *
Are you a troll?

Dave, aka The Stalker (or as I like to be known, Chief Stalker)
(my eyes are starting to hurt from all the rolling....)

I was wondering if that hurt on not. *If you stop reading my
posts, maybe your eyes will recover. *It is a "discussion"
group.

It soytenly is a discussion group, and that's what you and I are doing
right now. *Duh!

*Don't read the posts you do not like.

I gotta read them, Todd. *How else can I amuse myself? *Well, other
than *that*? d;o(

*(I do not
read the political posts -- way too nasty.)

Eww. *Yes. *One must escape all the nastiness he (or she) can. *Lit

tle
11 yo girls have no business discussing politics anyway.

-T

Chief Stalker LaCourse, sir.

Idiot.

g.

Giddy up. This is fun. Never had my own pony.

d;o)

Old August 13th, 2010, 01:06 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2010-08-12 13:48:57 -0400, Todd said:

On 08/11/2010 05:42 PM, Giles wrote:

p.s. *watching you twist davie into ever tighter little knots is
hilarious, whether not not it's intentional.....and, no, i couldn't
care less either way.

Davie? *Knots? *heeheehee *I am enjoying myself, Wolfgang. *I

mmensely
aamof. *I can hardly wait until he discovers google.

Davey

You're an idiot.....and a pig.....and a liar.

g.

Hi Giles,

I never thought these words would escape from my fingers, but I have
kind of missed you in your short absence from these pages. *Just
a little bit. *Not that much. *Don't get the swelled head.

I figured congress went on recess and you finally got a chance to
do some fishing. *:-)

-T

Oh, yes. *And everyone need a stalker in the life. *Thank you
for noticing.

Or a pony. *But Giles is only a one trick pony. *Don't count on him f

or
very much more than that. *And he loves to stalk too. *Stalkstalkstal

k.
*Everyone of roff stalks.

Dave, aka The Stalker (or as I like to be known, Chief Stalker)
(my eyes are starting to hurt from all the rolling....)

Moron.

g.

Keep on riding. You're doing youself proud, Pony Boy.

d;o)

Old August 13th, 2010, 01:37 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

Old August 13th, 2010, 01:37 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

Old August 13th, 2010, 01:48 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Aug 12, 6:25*pm, Todd wrote:
On 08/12/2010 04:11 PM, Giles wrote:

g.
oh, and, your welcome.

Sorry. *'loved your letter. *Very well done.

Aw, shucks, 'tweren't nuthin' you couldn'ta done better yer own self.

Many thanks,

You're welcome.

-T

g.
who may still not know what he likes.....but recognizes art when it
jumps up and bites him very hard on the ass.

Old August 13th, 2010, 02:00 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Aug 12, 4:59*pm, Todd wrote:
On 08/12/2010 02:52 PM, Giles wrote:

All you've managed to do
thus far is to pick up a couple of notorious fools who cannot beg,
borrow or steal, let alone invent a novel way of making absolute asses
of themselves.

You probably are correct.

Probability is an interesting arena of study. It must be.....I've
never been able to make any sense of it whatsoever.

It was bad judgment on my part to argue
with them -- rise to the bait, so to speak.

Maybe. Depends a lot on intent and results.....maybe other things as
well.

g.
oh, by the way, you might want to take a look at swisher's and
richards' "no hackles" and/or some old classic flies (wet or
dry).....the kind made with paired duck quill wings.....for some ideas
relevant to your quest.

I love them. *They are about 85% of what I was looking
for.

Drat! I was hoping for 90 or better.

I will be spending a lot of time of that site staring.

Don't limit yourself. Spare a little time for reading and thinking.

I did notice on his flies page, he give a black and white
picture of a Baetis spinner. *So, he is actually trying
to match the little buggers.

http://www.dougswisher.com/flies.htm

Comes as a bit of a surprise, ainna? Well, you're in good
company.....many of us have come, however belatedly and in however
roundabout a fashion, to the quite possibly correct conclusion that
the trails we follow were made by those who trod the same ground
before us.

-T

g.
somewhere in the footsteps of long, pike, lewis, nuttall, mackenzie,
say, spruce, peale, rafinesque, thompson, wallace, et al.

Old August 13th, 2010, 02:07 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Aug 12, 6:30*pm, Todd wrote:
On 08/12/2010 04:21 PM, Tom Littleton wrote:

*wrote in message
Hi All,

One of my pet project for about a year now is to
find a fly (I do not tie my own) that imitates an
underwater ovipositing Baetis spinner. *I have come
up dry.

well, 47 posts later, here are my feeble thoughts:
First, photo aside, most submerged baetis will be pretty disheveled once
they go below the surface.
Second, although far from a perfect imitation, I've always done well with a
small(say, size 18) Olive brown Submerger wet, tied as follows:

Hook--2xl #18,20 nymph hook
Thread--Danville Olive/Brown 6/0
Tails--3 strands mallard flank, about 1 1/2 times shank
* * * * * *length
Body--loop dubbed mix of squirrel fur and sparkle yarn,
* * * * * *a brownish olive shade, ribbed with very fine
* * * * * *silver wire. Body to about 2 eye widths behind
* * * * * *eye of hook.
Hackle--two turns grey partridge.

I've watched native browns in small streams, with gin clear water, come up
to these fished deep and simply inhale them without stopping their swimming
motion. See how they work for you and get back to us.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Tom

Thank you! *I will have to find one in a store. *May not get to
go fishing for a few weeks though. *:'( * *Hmmm. *Maybe I could get
the flyshop to tie some for me.

Why not tie your own?

I will definitely ramble on
about my experience.

We never doubted it.

-T

g.
who stills sometimes wonders why water is always (if it is clear at
all) "gin" clear. i mean, what's wrong with "tequilla" clear? yeah,
tequilla generally has some color to it.....but that isn't germaine to
the matter of clarity. doesn't ANYBODY remember chem 101....."clear
AND* colorless"?

*emphasis added.