TR: Fishin' with Wally, Drew and Danny

Old June 20th, 2006, 12:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default TR: Fishin' with Wally, Drew and Danny

I tossed and turned all night, having forgotten my Therm-a-Rest pad.
Wally's Summer home is funitureless, except for the *BED* that he slept upon
and the barstools in the kitchen? I figured, me being a guest, Wally would
offer me the bed. But NOOOOOO! He wouldn't even share the bed? I'm
surprised that he didn't make me sleep out on the front porch.

Anyway, we awoke around 5:30AM to get ready to meet Drew and Danny st their
campsite at 7:30AM sharp. Wally had some very fine coffee waiting for me,
already in the cup, when I finally made my way to the kitchen. We hung
around a while smokin' and drinkin' our coffee, before we got our baths.
Out of the house by 6:45AM and arrived at the campsite promptly. Drew
greeted us with more coffee. Danny showed up a few minutes later, form out
of the wood. The four of us BS'd while Drew made us a 5 star breakfast and
chided Danny for not takin' the tent down, in a timely manner. We consumed
our breakfasts and geared up to fish _ndrew's _reek.

We hiked about a 1/4 mile up the forestry road to a marked trail. I had to
drop off the trail for a short period, and when I caught up to the rest of
the guyz, Wally was already 60 ' up stream fishin'. Drew and Danny were
standing streamside? I told them that they couldn't allow Wally to get
ahead of us, or we wouldn't see a fish the rest of the day. Wally
generously motioned us to move on up, after he had fished the prime waters.
Now, Drew and Danny aren't the accomplished fly fishers that Uncle Wally and
I are. So Wally and I assisted the two as best we could, from a hundred
yards up stream. It's really quite difficult to correct casting issues from
such a distance, but Wally and I did he best we could. Competition is
always fierce, when fishin' with Uncle Wally, so I couldn't spend too much
time pullin' flyz from tree branches, but I did manage to rescue at least 20
of my flyz. Wally has a system, when it come to fly retrieval: fly in
tree, break fly off, tie on new fly from the inexhaustible supply of flyz
that a flyshop afford one!

Wally and I weren't exactly slayin' the trout, but we were catchin' a few,
here and there. Drew and Danny were havin' a bit more difficulty, as they
don't fish quite as often as Wally and I. The need to be somewhat stealthy
seemed to evade D&D, and their long rods prevented them from being able to
side arm cast or roll cast very effectively. Walt did give a Bow & Arrow
castin' lesson to Danny and worked with Drew on his leader construction. I
introduced Danny to the traditional Adams, as I had done Trent the day
before. Sadly, Danny wasn't able to work the magic that a traditional Adams
possesses. I have been using the same tA for the last month, almost
exclusively, and while it's becoming a bit the worse for wear, it's still
doin' a yeoman's job! I gotta tie up another batch as I have been given
more away than I have used myself.

While Wally was assistin' Drew with his leader construction, and Danny was
tyin' on a Parachute Adams, havin' lost the tA I had given him to a maple
tree, I did as any low-life gutter scum would have done, I continued on up
stream. Thankfully, we were just gettin' into prime plunge pools and big
boulder waters. I was able to catch several nice browns rangin' in size
from 9 to 11 inches. Unfortunately, the rest of the guyz caught up to me
before I was able to fish the rest of the stream by myself!

Wally, havin' dropped back in the fish count, was castin' furiously to catch
up to me. The next thing ya know we are back at the campsite. Drew and
Danny go up to finish packin' up to go back to Charlotte, Wally heads back
to Morganton and I continue up stream. The fish are rarin' to be hooked and
I oblige them. I fished to just below the waterfalls above the campsite,
and bring to hand five nice browns, in about 20 minutes of fishin'. Eager
to report my success, I hurry back down stream to where Drew and Danny are
just finishin' their packin'.

Op --none of the above should be considered braggadocio, but simply ego and
fact!--

Old June 23rd, 2006, 09:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Mr. Opus McDopus wrote:

[...]

What about the ART!

Drew