first catch on the fly rod

Old June 7th, 2004, 09:39 PM
snakefiddler

Default first catch on the fly rod

"Big Dale" wrote in message
snakefidler wrote:snipwhich was followed by a trip to bass lake

One morning during Waldo's Spring Fling Waldo took Frank and I over to

bass
lake and we had some fun for a couple of hours. You won't be doing much

wading
in that lake if you were fishing where we were. The little black and olive
flies I sent you are called Cap Spiders and are tied on 1/124 ounce

crappie
jugs so they sink. If the fish do not want to take the flies off the

surface,
then try one of the Cap spiders and slowly crawl them along the bottom.

cool- manipulating these things is a good part of the fun

They
work pretty good at times. Nothing works great all the time, but I have

caught
so many fish on these two kind of flies that they are my "go to" flies.

The
only way to get used to hooking them is to keep doing it. That is why is
suggested learning on bluegill...you get more chances in a morning than on
trout in most cases. When I fished bass lake I kept hanging my flies in

the
trees on the backcast. I hope you decorated a tree or two while you were

there
also. grin.

i did get my line caught in a tree once, but happily it settled on a low
branch, so i was able to retrieve it. i am following the instructions from
the video that frank sent, and casted by raising my arm from the 9:00
position to 12:00- without bending my wrist. that part wasn't too
difficult- controlling the "excess" line as it went through the rod was more
tricky, and i had diffficulty with the power stroke. of course, since i
don't have eyes in the back of my head, i had no way to judge the quality of
my loops. G
i'm workin on it,though.

snakefiddler

Keep it up and have fun with this.

Big Dale

Old June 7th, 2004, 09:48 PM
snakefiddler

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

"snakefiddler" wrote in message

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

- Actually, the two are eminently combinable.

true , i did have my daughter quiz me while we were fishing, for an exam

have in my north american indians class tommorrow ;-)

If it's an area of particular interest.....as opposed to merely another
class.....you might want to have a look at "Captured by the Indians",
subtitled "15 Firsthand Accounts, 1750-1870", edited by Frederick Drimmer,
Dover Publications, 1961. As the title suggests, it's a compendium of
abbreviated versions of the accounts of a number of "white" people who had

more intimate and more extended look at the subject matter than most.

Wolfgang

i picked that one up today as well. it'll be interesting to read these
accounts from the white perspective. the instructor of my north american
indians class said on the first day that he will be telling us stories that
will inspire rage at people on both sides of the issue, as well as anger and
pity. i already know this to be true, and i suspect this book may contain
some material that will provoke those same emotions.
i always enjoy being introduced to new resources on such subjects, and
books are *one* of my favorite things, to which anyone who has been in my
home can attest.

snakefiddler

Old June 7th, 2004, 09:56 PM
riverman

"snakefiddler" wrote in message

"Mark H. Bowen" wrote in message
Good to hear! Sorry I missed ya, but things came up that I had to

attend
to.

We'll try again, if you wish, in the near future.

it's all good- i'm sure we'll get around to it sooner or later, and yes i
still want to- there's nothin like one on one instruction.

snakefiddler

"things came up....", "try again...", "get around to it...", "still want
to...", "one on one..."
WHEN are you gonna learn to drop those sexual innuendos?? ;-)

--riverman
(by the way, the one thing better than 1:1 instruction is LOTS of 1:1
instruction. It wasn't until near the end of my first year of flyfishing
that I finally hired a guide. What a difference it made on that trip!! Now I
try to hire one the first day out at every new venue I fish.)

Old June 7th, 2004, 10:55 PM
Big Dale

Boy this CRS stuff sure kicks in sometimes. Now it seems like that day that
Waldo took Frank Church and I over to Bass Lake both Frank andIi were skunked
and it pains me to say that since I have been playing with fly rods since the
early 50's.I can't even remember whether Waldo caught one or two fish, but Bass
Lake was some very tough fishing. Beautiful and I would not take any amount of
money for those couple of hours, but it had to do with the friends, not the
fish that we caught.

Big Dale
Old June 7th, 2004, 11:09 PM
Wolfgang

"snakefiddler" wrote in message

....how interesting to have an ancestor play such an important role in

history.

Hm.....while Joe IS technically an ancestor, I believe that referring to him
solely in terms of his role in history is just a wee bit
prema......um......oh.....heh, heh......never mind.

Wolfgang
who has recently.....and for the first time.....found dirt younger than his
own self.

Old June 7th, 2004, 11:40 PM
snakefiddler

"riverman" wrote in message

"snakefiddler" wrote in message

"Mark H. Bowen" wrote in message
Good to hear! Sorry I missed ya, but things came up that I had to

attend
to.

We'll try again, if you wish, in the near future.

it's all good- i'm sure we'll get around to it sooner or later, and yes

still want to- there's nothin like one on one instruction.

snakefiddler

"things came up....", "try again...", "get around to it...", "still want
to...", "one on one..."
WHEN are you gonna learn to drop those sexual innuendos?? ;-)

i guess i just can't help myself ;-)
(you just wanted to beat forty to it, huh? SEG)

--riverman
(by the way, the one thing better than 1:1 instruction is LOTS of 1:1

yeah, i could use a lot of that if i ever want to get to the point where i
can brag on myself- you know- tight loops and all.............

instruction. It wasn't until near the end of my first year of flyfishing
that I finally hired a guide. What a difference it made on that trip!! Now

try to hire one the first day out at every new venue I fish.)

yeah, well, maybe one day when i finish school and have money. unlikely
though, considering my major! not a huge money maker .....

snakefiddler-( who did it for love- not money)

Old June 7th, 2004, 11:41 PM
Wolfgang

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

- Actually, the two are eminently combinable.

true , i did have my daughter quiz me while we were fishing, for an

exam
have in my north american indians class tommorrow ;-)

If it's an area of particular interest.....as opposed to merely another
class.....you might want to have a look at "Captured by the Indians",
subtitled "15 Firsthand Accounts, 1750-1870", edited by Frederick

Drimmer,
Dover Publications, 1961. As the title suggests, it's a compendium of
abbreviated versions of the accounts of a number of "white" people who

had
more intimate and more extended look at the subject matter than most.

Wolfgang

i picked that one up today as well. it'll be interesting to read these
accounts from the white perspective.

It's probably been about a year since I read it, so I can only offer some
dimly recollected impressions. As I recall, I thought Drimmer's selections
presented a fairly balanced view of what is after all a pretty lopsided
phenomenon......though, come to think of it, while the mechanics were often
radically different, a great many Indians were also kidnapped by Whites. I
remember wondering why there were no accounts preceding 1750. Surely, this
was not the earliest that such an event occurred and the victim lived to
tell the tale. The may be something about this in the prefatory material
but, if so, I don't remember it. Drimmer's notes are perfunctory and he did
not include a bibliography or an index.......he should be gutshot, but it's
probably too late.

My copy is in paperback. On the insides of both front and back covers is a
list of 51 other "Dover Books on the American Indian". If yours doesn't
have this list and you're interested, let me know via email. I'll be happy
to send it.......um......it might take a few days......and I can't promise
slavish adherence to MLA standards.

the instructor of my north american
indians class said on the first day that he will be telling us stories

that
will inspire rage at people on both sides of the issue, as well as anger

and
pity. i already know this to be true, and i suspect this book may contain
some material that will provoke those same emotions.

Probably depends to a large extent on how easy one is to inspire. As for
myself, I can't think many treatments that I would consider too harsh or
barbaric for anyone who invaded my home......regardless of what side of
which fence it might lie on.

i always enjoy being introduced to new resources on such subjects, and
books are *one* of my favorite things, to which anyone who has been in my
home can attest.

I try to observes the usual social forms when entering someone else's house
for the first time, but I can't help but let my eyes quickly scan the room
for bookshelves. If there are any present, I WILL find an opportunity to
browse.

Wolfgang
oh, and if i'm not mistaken (and i'm not), we have in our midst a couple of
wonderful "human resources" for further investigation into matters
bibliographical.....they will make their presence known if and when
needed......and if they are so inclined.

Old June 8th, 2004, 05:29 AM
Mike

Congrads on your first catch.....It will get better it won't be long before you
are looking around and saying looks like a spinner fall or they were hitting on
tan caddis last night...We have millions of blue gill around here i could catch
them all day long if i wanted to.......I am not trying to step on anyones toes
here but i find that in Ct. i use flies that have been beat to death by trout
on blue gill and bass and crappie...I have a Plueger (sp) 5wt at my camp here
last year one night i caught two largemouth bass in excess of 2lbs on a #12
grey fox.....I have used BWO's sulpurs, march browns,caddis almost anything
will work but then i have never heard of stocking bluegills...... Where I have
lived all my life they are plentyful matter of fact downright pesky........Make
a nice cast to where you think a bass will be and bang a friggin bluegill and
another and another well you get the drift.....Don't get yourself into the idea
that spiders are the only thing that will catch bluegill if spiders don't work
try a dry fly try a wet fly try anything you happen to have in your
vest....Best of luck on your flyfishing apprenticeship...Watch out for that
Opie guy he won't admit it but he does know his way around a flyrod..........

Handyman Mike
Standing in a river waving a stick

Old June 8th, 2004, 11:58 AM
snakefiddler

"Mike" wrote in message
Congrads on your first catch.....

thanks- very exciting stuff!

It will get better it won't be long before you
are looking around and saying looks like a spinner fall or they were

hitting on
tan caddis last night...

i will be happy when i get to the point where i can *read* such things- i am
beginning to learn my way around, and much of ya'll's posts make so mcuh
more sense to me now- except of course for most of for ...............well
never mind G

[...]

thanks- i'll remember that, as i said earlier, i need all the tips i can
get.

Best of luck on your flyfishing apprenticeship...Watch out for that
Opie guy he won't admit it but he does know his way around a

flyrod..........

and i hope he will teach me-wouldn't want to show up in october looking like
a newbie ;-)
ya hear that op?
ya gotta make me look good...........

snakefiddler

Old June 8th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Tim J.

"snakefiddler" wrote...
snip
ya hear that op?
ya gotta make me look good...........

Just remember, the man USED to drive a truck:
http://css.sbcma.com/timj/pics/stuck_truck.JPG

--
TL,
Tim