"Lure Selection vs. Conditions - Spinnerbaits"

Old November 24th, 2003, 01:02 PM
Craig

Default "Lure Selection vs. Conditions - Spinnerbaits"

Under what conditions would you use a:

1. Spinnerbait (Tandem Willowleaf), 2. Spinnerbait (Tandem Willowleaf over
Colorado), 3. Spinnerbait (Tandem Indiana over a Colorado), 4. Spinnerbait
(Tandem double Indiana), 5. Spinnerbait (Tandem double Colorado), 6.
Spinnerbait (Single Willowleaf), 7. Spinnerbait (Single Indiana), 8.
Spinnerbait (Single Colorado), 9. Spinnerbait (Multiple Blade 3 or more),
10. 1/8 to 1/4-ounce, 11. 3/8 to 1/2-ounce, 12. 5/8 to 3/4-ounce, 13. 7/8 to
2-ounce, 14. Thin Skirt, 15. Double Skirt, 16. Trailer Hook (long), 17.
Trailer Hook (Short), 18. Trailer (Real Pork), 19. Trailer (Ribbons), 20.
Trailer (worms/grubs/craw), 21. Type - Inline, 22. Type - Short Arm, 23.
Type - Long Arm, 24. Big Blades, 25. Medium Blades
26. Small Blades, 27. White, 28. Black, 29. Chartruese, 30. Green, 31.
Orange/Black, Yellow/Black, Chartreuse/Black, 32. Chrome Blades
33. Copper Blades, 34. Brass Blades, 35. Gold Blades, 36. White Blades, 37.
Chratruese Blades, 38. Black Blades, 39. Red or Orange, 40. Clevis Type, 41.
Barrel Swivel, 42. Ball-bearing Swivel

Well hopefully I covered everything for every conditions, but I know I
haven't.

--
Craig Bauer
http://c.a.b.home.comcast.net/

Old November 26th, 2003, 12:32 AM
Craig

LOL! You got it! I waited for someone to jump on that, with; "What, we
want us to write a book?"

--
Craig Bauer
http://c.a.b.home.comcast.net/

Old November 26th, 2003, 04:19 AM
Bob Rickard

If I had the time, which I don't, I would attempt to write a series of real
thick books to answer these questions. All I can do right now is say that I
am keeping your list to address some of the questions later on our website.
--
Bob Rickard
www.secretweaponlures.com

Old November 26th, 2003, 08:47 AM
Dan

In simplest terms:

Willow blades for grass, running deep, running fast, or clear water.

Colorado blades for slow presentation, shallow water, stained or dirty
water.

Single blades for more vibration, shallow running, Tandems for running
deeper.

Trailer hook most times.

Trailer choosen for slowing bait, adding action , length, bulk, or color
varience.

--
Dan W.

host, Bazz Clazz Videos

www.bazzclazz.com

To reply remove spamnot from the address

Old November 26th, 2003, 03:53 PM
BassMr.

I never,ever fish a spinnerbait unless I am alone or with somebody! (no
matter the conditions)

Old December 1st, 2003, 09:21 PM
Chris Rennert

Here is how I do it with Spinnerbaits. The darker the water the
darker(always black) the skirt I use and the larger the Colorado blade I
use. As water starts clearing I move to a smaller Colorado blade until I
have at least 1 or 2' visibility. I then switch to a willow leaf blade in a
lighter colored skirt, either all white , or white with yellow. I never use
a Colorado in tandem with any other blade. I never use an Indiana blade. I
do use dual willow leafs though, when the baitfish are really schooled
tight. Now willow leaf blades are dependent on the size of the bait in the
water. Also blade color for willow blades is dependent on what I am looking
for. 95% of the time they have to be silver, not nickel (nickel flashes
black). For Colorado blades I will either use a black or a yellow blade
when I am using a large Colorado blade. Again as the water clears I will
switch to a Nickel and then a Silver. The maximum thump is what I am
looking for, but as the water clears, you also want a second attractor. I
live by this, if the fish can't see it , they can't eat it (for the most
part, bass are pretty good at locating food from feel, but why not stimulate
a couple of senses in the process).
As for trailer hooks I use them 100% of the time. No matter how clear the
water is. As for length, I stay pretty standard on those.
As for trailers, I sometimes use a grub just in really cold dark water when
I want to slow roll almost drag it along.

Inline spinners are very similar in choice. The clearer the water, the less
gaudy you want to be. For dark water I use a #5 in all silver(credit Jed
Davis). You seem to get maximum flash with silver in dark water. As the
water clears you go smaller and smaller in your blade selection. In gin
clear (unlimited visibility) I will use a #0 or #1. Also I switch all my
trebles to Siwash hooks on Inline spinners.

For Spinnerbaits I always carry split ring pliers and a change of blades
with me. You can get so technical with Inline and spinnerbaits that those
could be the only baits you would need on the water. Bottom line is there
is a science to it, but if you don't have confidence in it you probably are
not going to fish them as effectively as you can. The pro's don't say match
your bait to conditions tongue and cheek. It is something they all live by,
and again it is the little details that make the biggest difference.

Here is a little change I made with crankbaits (before the article in
Bassmasters came out a few months ago). I switch all my front hooks on
every single one of my crankbaits to red hooks. I can't tell you if I
caught more fish that way or not, because crankbaits have always been a good
bait for me, but it didn't go in the opposite direction, so it didn't hurt
to experiment with it. That is my only point, don't be afraid to make
little tiny tweaks, whether it is with Spinnerbaits, or plastics.

Just my $1.25 on this topic, hope it helps someone.

Chris Rennert