New Here ... Newbie Questions inside ....

Old February 20th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Rich Conley

Default New Here ... Newbie Questions inside ....

Take a look at Okuma's reels. My sal****er spinning reel is an Epixor EB-50...I
think I spent like 70 bucks on it....absolutely phenomenal piece of equipment.
Makes my dad's Shimano Baitrunner look like a cheap toy.

Take a look at their stuff...from what Ive seen, its the best quality cheap
stuff you can get.

BigT wrote:

Gosh. I didn't mean to spark a debate!

I thank everyone for their opinions.

I was hoping that I didn't have to spend $150 ... I was hoping to keep my
initial investment in a rod & reel under $100. From what a lot of people
are saying, that goal can be obtained.

Thanks again!

Big T

"BigT" wrote in message
Hello everyone. I wanted to introduce myself to the group. I decided it
was time for a hobby.

I have a few questions.

I am going to be buying a rod and reel in a few weeks and since this is my
first try at fishing I really didn't want to spend a fortune. There will

be
time for that later. I have about $150 to spend on the rod and reel. I
think I will get a spinning reel to start out as I am told they are easier
to use than a bait casting reel.

Any suggestions on equipment? Length of rod? Action?

Also, what kind of line do you suggest? I am thinking about using Power
Pro. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks.

Please be kind ...

BigT

Old February 21st, 2004, 01:00 AM
go-bassn

I guess my point was that I wouldn't consider using a cheap combo even for
entry level bass fishing. I thing a $80 reel & $70 rod would be the bare
minimum.

Warren

"J Buck" wrote in message
I don't know much about guns Buck, are there $8000 rifles (that aren't
antiques)? Because there are $800 rod/reel combos
Yes, there are. But I'm not sure what your point is

The point is, Entry Level means different things to different people. I
think that a good entry level spinning outfit, for someone just getting
into the sport of fishing, and unsure how much they're actually going to
get out fishing, would be in the neighborhood of $50-$75. That way, the
equipment that they're purchasing won't be so cheap as to be a burden to
use, something that is going to give them a reasonable quality. But, if
it turns out that they don't like to fish as much as most of us here,
they don't have a pile of money sitting in the corner gathering dust

Agree 100%. That is exactly what I said in my first reply to the OP

Old February 21st, 2004, 02:08 AM
J Buck

I guess my point was that I wouldn't consider using a cheap combo even
for entry level bass fishing. I thing a $80 reel & $70 rod would be the
bare minimum

When it comes down to it, we just define these terms
differently...'cheap'...'entry level'...and 'bare minimum'.

Old February 21st, 2004, 02:44 AM
Jerry Barton

One of the better online stores for Okuma is www.digitaldagger.com I've got
no interest in this site other than I've ordered from the guy and he's got
great prices that everyone should know about.

.. .

Old February 21st, 2004, 03:30 AM

Prices don't look so special to me.
Old February 21st, 2004, 03:55 AM
Jerry Barton

I paid $34. w/free shipping, I consider that very good pricing.

wrote in message
nk.net...
Prices don't look so special to me.

Old February 23rd, 2004, 06:37 PM
Rich Conley

his prices are hte same as everyone else...cept he has free shipping,
which makes this a good deal.

Jerry Barton wrote:

I paid $34. w/free shipping, I consider that very good pricing.

wrote in message
nk.net...
Prices don't look so special to me.