ROFLMAO - RI - What is the Problem...

Old October 13th, 2004, 07:59 PM
James Horner

Default ROFLMAO - RI - What is the Problem...

Bob
Was all that gibberish what actually came up as my last post? That's
terrible...if so, I'll attempt to repost what should have been posted.

---
Now Bob, I knew there was more to the story. When I asked you what you said in
your email, what you initially posted isn't what you are saying now. You in
initially posted only that, "I asked him why he was discriminating against
Arizona?". That was somewhat misleading, wouldn't you say? According to your
most recent post, you actually said quite a bit more, to which you got a nasty
response. Now, I'm not condoning the way the guy acted, as I stated before I
think it's a terrible way for anyone to conduct business, but I can see where
he was coming from a little better now.

First you insinuated that the guy was discriminating against Arizona, something
he has every right to do for whatever reason he chooses to do so. Then you
insult his web developer by calling him "incompetent". Did it ever occur to you
that the person you spoke with on the phone and the web developer may be the
same person? How would you respond to being called "incompetent" over something
that could be a simple oversight, as you also suggested? Simply asking if the
lack of Arizona as an option was an oversight MIGHT not have resulted in the
response that you received. Then again, it may have had the same result. No one
will ever know. You're right; your email could have been more 'tactful' because
starting off with and email that could be misinterpreted, and obviously was
misinterpreted, as hostile and then to expect a friendly reply is kind of
ridiculous. Don't you think?

As far as the SPAM disclaimer you added with your information when you
registered with his website, until the Federal Government passes formal SPAM
legislation, you and everyone else are S.O.L. because the current filters are
only a temporary solution to an ever increasing problem.
-Jim Jr.
http://www.teamhornerfishing.com
Old October 13th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Bob La Londe

Gibberish?
Was that a humorous attempt to poke fun at my repsonse to your original
reply? Maybe a little tongue in cheek poke at my own upset with a less than
stellar response to my criticizm of RI.

If not, my news reader showed your original reply just fine, and here was my
reply. LOL

"James Horner" wrote in message
So I told him I asked why he was discriminating against Arizona, and if

it
was a mistake from an incompetant web developer or if it was an over

site.

Now Bob, I knew there was more to the story. When I asked you what you

said in
your email, what you just posted isn't what you posted initialy. You

posted
only that, "I asked him why he was discriminating against Arizona". That

was
somewhat misleading, wouldn't you say? According to this post you actually

said
quite a bit more, to which you got a nasty response.

Perhaps. My message was actually worded a little better than that. Since
it went through a form rather than e-mail I don't have a copy that I can go
back and read. I may have actually let me peave color my comments here more
than the original message since the telephone call he felt necessary to make
in order to tell me off directly.

First you insinuate the guy of discriminating against Arizona, something

he has
every right to do for whatever reason he chooses to do so. Then you insult

his
web developer by calling him "incompetent". Did it ever occur to you that

the
person you spoke with on the phone and the web developer may be the same
person?

Afterwards it did. I didn't realize RI was such a small company. They come
off like a huge operation. Not a one horse shop.

How would you respond to being called incompetent over something that
could be a simple oversight, as you also suggested?

I am in business myself and I get all kinds of inquires from clients. Some
downright hostile. I like to think that my initial response is atleast an
attempt to find out and solve the problem. Of course I can understand the
urge to brush off or attack some, but I have learned over the years that
somewhat difficult clients can be the most profitable. 8 or 9 (maybe 10)
years ago I did an alarm system in a house for a guy and his wife. His wife
was somewhat difficult (no more so than I am sometimes), but we got it done
and we took care of the details. Last year I did over a $100K in digital
video systems in the guys businesses, and we have picked up four or five
other large jobs and half a dozen smaller jobs as a direct results of
refferals or relationships with this guy. All together over the years. I
would have to credit atleast some responsibilty to this guy for between 300
and 400 thousand dollars in jobs. We have just finished another decent job
as a direct result of the work we did for him, and we are putting togethor a
proposal for another large job for one of his companies.

I asked one of his managers last year when we were working on one site what
the guy thought of us. The manager said, "he said, 'Bob doesn't get along
with my wife very well, but he takes care of details and does a good job.'"
Now if I had told her off, and refused to take care of a few minor details
that we really weren't responsible for I would be much poorer today. I
certainly would not have gotten very far if I had decided back then that a
single home alarm was not worth the effrort or the hassle of dealing with
some things. I'm not saying I haven't lost my temper and told a few people
off becasue that wouldn't be true, but I try to atleast make sure that I do
my part to find common ground in the initial part of a conflict with a
customer.

I would like to point out that I had purchased products from RI's website in
the past, and I was suprised when I could no longer do so. I would also
like to point out that I had featured RI's products in atleast one article I
have had published.

Simply asking if the lack
of Arizona as an option was an oversight MIGHT not have resulted in the
response that you received.

No doubt.

You're right; your email could have been more
'tactful', because starting off with an email that could be

misinterpreted, and
obviously was, as hostile and then to expect a friendly reply is kind of
ridiculous. Don't you think?

Friendly? I never expected friendly. I was somewhat surprised though when
the guy decided to call me on the telephone and ream me out. He swore at me
first before saying anything of substance. Then it was an afterthought.
His purpose in calling me was clearly to cuss me out and had nothing to do
with business.

From a similar standpoint. I do not accept credit cards. I have had a few
customers get upset about it over the years. Some are very upset because
they can't use purchases from me to build points or air miles or whatever.
I always explain to them that I do not get enough requests for credit card
purchases to justify the expense. If I got more people who insisted on
paying with credit cards I would be glad to take them, but it would cost me
more on a monthly basis for the machine and services and account than I
would gian by having the service available. None have failed to understand
when I explained that to them rationally, and I don't think I have ever lost
a customer because of it. I certainly have not lost one because of the
ferocity of my "attack" when they asked about it.

And as far as the SPAM disclaimer you added with your information when you
registered on his website, until the Federal. Government passes the actual

SPAM
legislation, you're S.O.L. on that as well.

I know that. You are correct, but the spam notice may dissuade a few. I
thought it was actually funny when that was what the guy turned out to be
upset about when he called my friend here locally to ask about me. I was
more amused that he took the effort to call other people to ask about me.

P.S. I told a customer yesterday that I wasn't willing to do what she
wanted to get her business on one job, but I didn't lose the customer. She
wanted a huge discount on a new installation and I explained that If she had
caught me at a slow time I might be willing to give her a bigger discount if
that was what I had to do to get the job, but because we are busy right now
I would not be willing to put off other jobs to do a less profitable job for
her. She would have to decide if our rapid response to problems was worth
the difference in price from quotes she may have from other companies. We
were both professional and confrontational in our conversation, but she is
still my client. I was not even offering a totally unique service.

I understand Aaron's response, but I don't agree with it and am disappointed
by it. I certainly intend to look for alternatives.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old October 13th, 2004, 08:17 PM
Bob La Londe

Default P.S. ROFLMAO - RI - What is the Problem...

P.S. Of course another thing has occured to me. The old saw, "Say what you
want about me, but spell my name right." Aaron has probably gotten more
usenet exposure because of this rant of mine than any positive things I may
have said about his products in the past. LOL.

If ten people don't buy his products because I got my feelings hurt, and ten
thousand that didn't know about him do now, I bet the 100 or so new
customers will probably more than make up for the ten or so lost customers.

Sorry, I was originaly offended that he called me up to jump my case,but
over all I am more amused than anything. I've really found myself laughing
outload more than once about this. Oops... I guess that makes me a troll
huh? LOL.

--
** FREE Fishing Lures
** Weekly drawing

Old October 13th, 2004, 08:50 PM
James Horner

Gibberish?
Was that a humorous attempt to poke fun at my repsonse to your original
reply? Maybe a little tongue in cheek poke at my own upset with a less than
stellar response to my criticizm of RI.

If not, my news reader showed your original reply just fine, and here was my
reply. LOL

Hey Bob...
No, it must be my reader, I got all kinds of odd gibberish when I attempted to
read your response. No poking. I actually never saw your response because the
gibberish started in the middle of my own post. No harm, no foul. I commend
your professionalism and how you deal with your customers. I think that there
are many companies out there that could learn a thing or two about how to run a
profitable business without sacrificing the customer's satisfaction as a trade
off. You definitely have your act together.

There was no need for him to call you and ream you out, regardless of anything
else that went on. And there was definitely no need to resort to profanity. I
too am amused that they guy called around to see who else knew you. If he put
half as much effort into customer service, he'd probably be to busy to answer
the phone or make a call like that in the first place. That's too much. I'd
love to know his motivation for doing so...probably wondering if he's going to
get that $500 bill for the SPAM. LOL....might want to think about sending him
an invoice. OK, OK, that's just going to add fuel to his fire, but at this
point, it would be pretty humorous.

Old October 13th, 2004, 09:02 PM
Bob La Londe

[...]

Jim,

You are too much. I lost it when I read this. Thats on par with my wanting
to drop some of Rodney's products in Warren's tackle boxes when he isn't
looking. I really did laugh out loud when I read that.

Bob

Old October 13th, 2004, 09:22 PM

Reaction Innovations is owned by a pro basser originally from northern
CA that until a few years ago fished the local circuits only. He has
gone on to bigger tournaments nation wide and has done well. I have met
and talked to him over the years and he is not the person, Aaron, that
you talked to Bob. This guy must just be on the payroll, and true it is
a small company just trying to get off the ground. As for why he came on
so strong to you Bob, I have no answer.

sket