Worlds Record Bass - Kill it or Save it?

Old March 12th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Bob La Londe

Default Worlds Record Bass - Kill it or Save it?

http://tinyurl.com/ytkze

--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com

Old March 12th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Calif Bill

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
http://tinyurl.com/ytkze

--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com

Just think how much you could make, running the fair circuit with that big
moma in a tank? Make money showing up at the bass-o-rama type shows. More
than showing a mounted and stuffed fish.

Old March 12th, 2004, 07:54 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
http://tinyurl.com/ytkze

Call me names, vilifiy me all you want, but if I would ever land a World
Record Largemouth, or Smallmouth for that matter, it's going headfirst into
the livewell.

I'll keep it alive to the best of my abilities, but if that's not possible,
it's still coming home with me. I'm all for Catch and Release, but there
are limits.....
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old March 12th, 2004, 11:05 PM
J Buck

I'm all for Catch and Release, but there are limits.....

Well put LoL And as another post pointed out, any fish that old is
gonna die soon anyway from old age

Old March 13th, 2004, 12:20 AM
John Kerr

Record the record and put it back! It will probably be caught in
California, and my son informed me that it is against California law to
transport it live out of state, so the million dollars that has been
offered by Bass Pro Shops for the live record is not available.
My son and MIke Long prbably have as good a chance at that record as
anyone, and they both have vowed to release it if that occurs...just
record it, take one scale, and let the "big guy/lady" go. Mike has
already caught a 20 # plus and released it. As for me, I would do the
same thing. jmo
JK

Old March 13th, 2004, 08:33 AM
G. M. Zimmermann

If I ever did catch any record book fish, I would probably never know it. I
might take a picture of it, but more likely would simply admire it for a moment
and put it right back. I don't need fortune and I don't want fame. Thats not
why I fish.

-Zimmy
Old March 13th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Craig Baugher

I love to fish, I really, really do. But I am also a very competitive
person. I cannot help it. Put me in contact with another human and I am
primed to compete. It wouldn't matter what it was, it could be spitting the
farthest, I would be looking for the competition.

Logically speaking, if you caught a World Record Fish, chance are, that fish
is in it last year of life anyways. We also don't know, because no one has
ever tagged and released one of the top monsters to see if one was ever
caught again. I suspect, a number of the monsters we catch and release die
within a day or two, due to the stress of being caught, and all the
handling. Which is bound to remove its protective slime coat.

If you caught a World Record Fish and you put it in a tank by itself, with
slime chemicals, and gave it a chance to totally recover, it would have a
better chance of survival and could be thoroughly examined for the record.

Something to think about. The reason so many fish caught in a tournament
live is because of the chemicals we put into our livewells. The reason so
many fish die after a tournament, is because of the Jerks that don't!!!

So I say, I would keep the fish. Put it in a livewell tank my itself,
photograph it, weigh it, and give it all the time it needs to recover. Then
recognize me as the World Record holder and let me die a happy man. Being
richer for and from the experience.

--
Craig Baugher

Old March 13th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Crownliner

ok, i'll admit it. as petty as it sounds, i would put it in bass pro's
giant aquarium if they paid me, and if not i would mount it. i know that is
selfish, but if you let it go, it is going to die anyway at some point, or
worse grow a bit and get caught again and you would lose your record.

that being said, with all the mexican lakes and south american lakes now
getting stocked with largemouth, at some poin the record will fall and it
won't mean near what the old one did. much like in football and other
sports the times are changing. i think the new record will be broken
several times in a short span, where this one has stood for decades. there
is a big difference in fish management and trophy lake management now.

hope you all still love me :-)
crownliner

Old March 13th, 2004, 02:52 PM
Bob La Londe

"Craig Baugher" wrote in message
I love to fish, I really, really do. But I am also a very competitive
person. I cannot help it. Put me in contact with another human and I am
primed to compete. It wouldn't matter what it was, it could be spitting

the
farthest, I would be looking for the competition.

Logically speaking, if you caught a World Record Fish, chance are, that

fish
is in it last year of life anyways. We also don't know, because no one

has
ever tagged and released one of the top monsters to see if one was ever
caught again.

I thought a 21 lb near record fish was caught twice in Ca in the last couple
years. They knew because it had a similar mark on it. I believe a couple
trout fishermen found it floating last year.

I'm pretty sure that was in the last Field and Stream magazine.

--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com

Old March 13th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Henry Hefner

G. M. Zimmermann wrote:
If I ever did catch any record book fish, I would probably never know it. I
might take a picture of it, but more likely would simply admire it for a moment
and put it right back. I don't need fortune and I don't want fame. Thats not
why I fish.

-Zimmy

I couldn't care less about fame. I guess I just don't need fans to feed
my ego, but fortune? Man, it must be nice to have enough money to not be
struggling to keep bills paid. I would want to do my best to care for
the fish, but it's going to live high on the hog in a beatiful aquarium
somewhere, making money for my family. I don't need much myself, I
PREFER jeans and sneakers, but the kid's gotta eat, and with a little
cash I could spend more time with them.

H. Hefner