crankbait rod question

Old February 7th, 2006, 11:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Default crankbait rod question

What type of rod action is best for crankbaiting light to medium crankbaits?
I bought a medium/medium rod and it seems awful floppy (only way I can
describe it) and now I am not sure if this is the right type of rod.

Thanks,
Pat_RI

Old February 7th, 2006, 11:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Pat_RI" wrote in message
What type of rod action is best for crankbaiting light to medium
crankbaits?
I bought a medium/medium rod and it seems awful floppy (only way I can
describe it) and now I am not sure if this is the right type of rod.

Hi Pat,

"Best" is a relative term. What I consider to be the best is not
necessarily what you will like. "Everyone" knows that you MUST fish
crankbaits on a fiberglass rod with a slow to moderate action, something
that bends over the entire front half of the rod (or even more).

I on the other hand prefer to fish crankbaits with a fast to extra-fast rod.
Using a rod like this, I can feel what the crankbait is doing and I feel I
get more hooks into fish because of this sensitivity.

I say that you should get the rod that feels right to you. I don't like
most "traditional" crankbait rods for the same reason, it feels floppy to
me. Floppy is a good word, I don't like em either!
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old February 8th, 2006, 12:25 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

"Pat_RI" wrote in message
[...]

Steve is on the money for his response. I'ld like to add my perspective to
it. I'll switch actions depending on the crankbait and line. When casting
10lb mono in clear water I prefer to use a medium light fast action spinning
rod. Most of the rest of the time I prefer to use a medium power moderate
action baitcaster spooled with 20LB Stren Super braid. However, when I find
I need to break out those monster deep divers I like to switch to a medium
heavy moderate action rod sticking with the braided line.

I hooked and lost a heck of a lot of fish on crankbaits before I got a
handle on what works for me. Since I switched to braid for most
applications I have all the sensitivity I need and I get more solid
hooksets. I do back the drag off quite a bit more than I used to for
cranks.
--
Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old February 8th, 2006, 12:41 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Pat, for the most part I agree with Steve's post. However
I would opt for a composite blank. Composites give you the best opf both
types of blanks. The backbone of graphite to manuver(sp) a fish. While the
glass top will help to keep you from ripping a lure from a fishes mouth.of
course it need not be said that you should check out as many rods as you can
,to find the one that suits your style of fishing.

--
______________________________
Dave Norton

Old February 8th, 2006, 05:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Pat_RI" wrote in message
[...]

This is pretty much my thought on this subject too Bob. I hadn't thought
about it much, but the question got me to thinking and your answer sounds
about right for me. I will use different actions depending on where I am
trying to get my baits to swim (depth) and where I am fishing them
(structure means heavier/braided line and rod). In "clean" water, with light
mono or fluoro, I will go with a more traditional "floppy" crankbait rod.

Old February 8th, 2006, 07:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

It is still winter here so I won't be able to try out the rod. If I can
remember I will follow-up with what I think of the rod. I hope that I will
end up liking it or hello Ebay.

Old February 9th, 2006, 12:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

If you opt to use a "super" line you will need to compensate in the "action"
of the rod blank. Personally if I were using a super line for crankbaits, I
would pair it with a moderate to medium action blank.

--

Old February 9th, 2006, 02:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"go-bassn" wrote in message
Using superline for crankbaits is like using a bb gun for big game
hunting.
It's great, as long as you dont want to catch much.

What????? Dang, I guess I'll have to tell all those fish that I caught on
crankbaits and PowerPro that we were doing it all wrong!

Out of curiosity, what leads you to say such a thing?