ROFB non boaters

Old May 12th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Sandon L. Joren

Default ROFB non boaters

Bob scrobe:.....

As a non boater in one regular tournament series I'm all for paying a little
extra to comp the boater. Personally when I take my boat I can more than
afford to go out, but its always nice when the other guy pitches in. Better
yet, help clean up and wipe down the boat afterwards.

Now this is something I do not see a lot of. In addition to always offering to help with expenses, I always do whatever I can in helping load, clean up, wipe down, etc.

In the thread of non-boaters paying extra, I would certainly have no problem with that. I fish several draw tournament trails in New Jersey and have not seen this practiced but would not mind paying a little extra for the privilege of riding in someone's expensive bass boat. Now, all I gots to do is make it to one of the ROFB classics.........

--
Sandy Joren
You sound reasonable ... Time to up my medication.....

Old May 12th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Lure builder

What is the proper etiqutte for a non boater. Paying for a portion or all of
the gas does not nearly cover the other expenses of a boater such as maintence,
depreciation etc. I know these costs don't impact on a single trip but they do
exist for a boater.
How much should you offer the boater for a half day of fishing?. When it comes
to 200 HP rigs i'm definitely a non boater.
Old May 12th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Kevin Hare

So am I!

Heavy

"alwaysfishking" wrote in message ...
I'm in
"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

"Rob Storm" wrote in message

Here's something I've been thinking about for a long time. I've always

been a
nonboater in the ROFB tournaments. The first two I rented a boat, but

have
also had the pleasure of fishing with Jerry, Steve, and Charles. Each

of
these
guys had gone to the trouble of hauling his boat 100s of miles to get to

the
tournament, then furnished the gas while we were fishing. (Ask Jerry

about his
extra expenses!)

I'd like for the rest of the nonboaters to think about this. How about

we
nonboaters pay a higher entry fee and use the extra money to compensate

the
boaters for the trouble they take and the money they spend.

It's possible that this has been discussed before, but I've been out of

touch
with the group for a long time and I haven't seen it.

It's an idea. What do the non-boaters think?
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old May 12th, 2004, 11:52 PM
Thundercat

On Wed, 12 May 2004 12:44:42 GMT, "Sandon L. Joren"
wrote:

Bob scrobe:.....

As a non boater in one regular tournament series I'm all for paying a little
extra to comp the boater. Personally when I take my boat I can more than
afford to go out, but its always nice when the other guy pitches in. Better
yet, help clean up and wipe down the boat afterwards.

Now this is something I do not see a lot of. In addition to always offering to help with expenses, I always do whatever I can in helping load, clean up, wipe down, etc.

In the thread of non-boaters paying extra, I would certainly have no problem with that. I fish several draw tournament trails in New Jersey and have not seen this practiced but would not mind paying a little extra for the privilege of riding in someone's expensive bass boat. Now, all I gots to do is make it to one of the ROFB classics.........

Ride out with Me, Randy and Possibly my Brother and/or Brooklyn Bill.
Might have to swap my truck for my wife's minivan, but you are welcome
to tag along with us.

Harry J aka Thundercat
Brooklyn Bill's Tackle Shop Fishing Team
http://www.geocities.com/brooklynbill2003/products.html
Share the knowledge, compete on execution.

Old May 13th, 2004, 01:01 AM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Jerry Barton" wrote in message
It's about time Brooklyn Bill got to one of these things.

I agree! The man has generously donated several high dollar reels to be
used as prizes for ROFB events. I for one would like to shake his hand and
tell him thank you, face to face.

Old May 13th, 2004, 02:44 AM
Craig Baugher

Amen! When I fish as a coangler I always offer money (how much depends on
the lake, running distance, etc., but a $20 minimum), but as soon as we come
a shore, I grab my gear and put it outside the boat. collect any trash that
may be on the floor and decks. Then grab my or the boat owners shammy and
bottle of "Spray N Shine". Even if you can tell the boat owner never does
it, and trust me, there are a lot of guys with $35K boats and never wipe or
clean their boats. Simply amazes me!

When I borrow a friends boat, I not only clean it, I put a super nice wax
job up it, bring it back full of gas (even if it was on empty), top off
their oil, grease their trailer bearings and winches, and replace any burnt
out tail lights. I want them to know I thoroughly appreciate them trusting
me with their pride and joy, and that I treat their boat as well or better
than they do. Hell, I have some friends call me up and ask if I want to use
their boat for the weekend because they know what I do. I thought about
going into the boat detailing business, because I personally love to make a
boat, truck or car shine like you never thought it could!

--
Craig Baugher
Be Confident, Focused, but most of all Have FUN!

Old May 13th, 2004, 01:40 PM
RichG

Only issue I might have with your TLC on somebody else's boat is that you
might be blowing their seals out by re-greasing their wheels. They might
have done it the day before, and you aren't helping.

Otherwise, you can borrow my boat anytime.
RichG

--
RichG manager, Carolina Skiff Owners Group on MSN
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners

Old May 13th, 2004, 02:17 PM
Charles Summers

Blowing their seals? Really? Can this happen by adding too much grease??

Seriously, I need to know these things! I wasn't aware that could happen.

(Still learning, after all these years. Two, to be exact...)

om...

Old May 13th, 2004, 02:52 PM
Doc \(The Tin Boat King\)

Look at the bearing buddies. If they are all the way in then they are empty and need grease badly. If they appear part way in
then add grease untill they top out THEN STOP. If they appear to be nearly full then leave them alone as this means the owner has
been taking care of them and he knows where the full position is. If you over fill the internal pressure will blow out the seal.
This happens mostly with the first time you tow after adding grease and it expands with the normal heat build up. Most any marina
mechanics will walk you through this free of charge (one of the bennies of a good local relationship). Doc

"Charles Summers" wrote in message ...
Blowing their seals? Really? Can this happen by adding too much grease??

Seriously, I need to know these things! I wasn't aware that could happen.

(Still learning, after all these years. Two, to be exact...)

om...