Bass swimming to fast for you?

Old June 25th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Budd Cochran

Default Bass swimming to fast for you?

A few years ago, while wading chest deep at Pueblo Reservoir, Pueblo, CO, I
had someone in a bass boat do something similar just 15 yards from where I
was fishing.

Roared up at full throttle, chopped power, shifted to reverse and then back
on the throttle to a full stop ... about seven feet from a rock wall (if
he'd missed the timing, I'd been watching him sink.) He made just five
fruitless casts and roared off again.

Up to that time, I'd been catching 1-3 pound LM's, 1-2 pound Black Crappie
and some 12" Rainbow trout. Afterward, I caught nothing for over an hour.

Now add to the fact his wash nearly knocked me off my feet, I don't see any
need for high performance boats if they're going to be used so
irresponsibly. I'm normally not violent, but I must admit he made me wish
for an Ronco Pocket Torpedo Launcher with free can opener attachment.

Please, PLEASE, be courteous to bank, float-tube and wading fisherpersons.

Budd

(getting off soapbox)

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...
I agree, a good angler, such as Robbis, in a belly boat is a formidable

foe,
but I can run 70+ mph to choice spots, come off plane, get on the trolling
motor and be almost as stealthy as Rob.

Old June 25th, 2004, 10:00 PM

When you have that kind of money, this is the best thing to do with it

http://www.coastaloutdoors.com/ibf/u...1086857999.jpg

or

http://www.coastaloutdoors.com/ibf/u...1086857934.jpg

Photos from Georgia's Lake Hartwell

In Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers wrote:

"Bob Rickard" wrote in message
Steve, this is our first fight. You put any angler of your choice in
one

of
those screaming monsters, I'll put Rob Storm in his belly boat, &
I'll bet on Rob every time!

LOL, I'd love to be able to take that bet.

I agree, a good angler, such as Robbis, in a belly boat is a
formidable foe, but I can run 70+ mph to choice spots, come off plane,
get on the trolling motor and be almost as stealthy as Rob.

Part of being able to catch bass is being able to cover water.
Granted, brains, ability and thoroughly covering the water is another
part, but I have some of the above mentioned items as well.

Robbis can fish maybe 6 spots in a day, where I can be to at least 10
times as many spots with my screaming monster.

Old June 25th, 2004, 10:10 PM
IBNFSHN

Is that an O-sh*t or what?

--
Bill
Chesapeake, Va

Old June 25th, 2004, 10:20 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"IBNFSHN" wrote in message
Is that an O-sh*t or what?

I think in this case, the last thing that went through his mind was his
butt!
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old June 25th, 2004, 10:59 PM
Bob Rickard

That's why some are called "terminally stupid!"
--
Bob Rickard
(AKA Dr. Spinnerbait)

Old June 26th, 2004, 02:24 AM
Netguider

Hi all,

I picked up one of those inflatable two pontoon row boats a few weeks ago
and I've never had so much fun. It's about one step up from a belly-boat.
I've got an 18' bass boat and I'll admit, it's what I normally use... but
his little row boat has sure won a place in my fishing too. It weighs about
50 lbs, I can inflate it in about a minute, (little 12V pump) and I can get
it into places I could never even think about going with my bass boat.

It's man powered so I don't have to have any license, numbers, or insurance,
etc. Just a couple of oars and I'm moving. No weight so it glides through
the water. The only bad thing is...you are setting about three inches off of
the water and since there's NO bottom, you have to be careful not to drop
anything cause it gone when you do.

Reading these posts just reminds me of how many different ways there are to
catch a fish, and how many good people can be found fishing. Thanks for a
great group.

Netguider

Old June 26th, 2004, 06:18 AM
Rob Storm

Bob -- Man, I appreciate your confidence in me and my belly boat. In small
water, I generally do all right. But on big water, I'd sure hate to bet
against Steve. It's been my privilege to fish with Steve a couple of times
and I take my hat off to his skill -- both with a casting rod and also at the
helm of his beautiful boat.. I'm an amateur angler who loves to fish and
catches a few every now and then. Steve on the other hand is a professional.

One of these days I want to take both of you guys fly fishing with me. It
ought to be a hot August afternoon, but we'll be relatively comfortable as at
least two thirds of our bodies are dangling in the water. We'll wear wide brim
hats and long sleeve shirts against the sun. We'll fish deer hair bugs and
plastic worms and maybe a large nymph or two. We might even catch some fish
and then the fun begins. In a bass tournament the idea is to get the fish into
the boat as quickly as possible. You have to forget that notion when you're
dukeing it out with a largemouth and you're halfway submerged in the fish's
element. Chances are a good bass will pull you around a little bit and splash
water in your face a couple of times before you get it in close enough to lip.
And if one gets off before you actually land it, so what? it's no big deal.
You were going to throw it back anyway.

Again, Bob -- I appreciate your confidence.

Family, Friends, Fishing,
Rob Storm
http://stormsrestaurants.com
Old June 26th, 2004, 06:42 AM
J Buck

a hot August afternoon, but we'll be relatively comfortable as at least
two thirds of our bodies are dangling in the water. We'll wear wide brim
hats and long sleeve shirts against the sun. We'll fish deer hair bugs
and plastic worms and maybe a large nymph or two. We might even catch
some fish and then the fun begins. In a bass tournament the idea is to
get the fish into the boat as quickly as possible. You have to forget
that notion when you're dukeing it out with a largemouth and you're
halfway submerged in the fish's element. Chances are a good bass will
pull you around a little bit and splash water in your face a couple of
times before you get it in close enough to lip

What a concept...no $20,000 boat, (towed by a $30,000 truck) no 100 hp
outboard, no GPS, no fish-finding sonar, no tackle box with 100 of
lures,1 rod,1 reel...my hat's off. You, sir, are fishing.

Old June 26th, 2004, 07:50 AM
Calif Bill

"J Buck" wrote in message
[...]

Well, speed is fun. I have a belly boat, and even catch some fish from it,
but I also have a $20k boat and a $50k truck, and catch fish from the boat
also. Depends on the area being fished. I also fish out of my SOT Kayak
and enjoy that also. As the state parole agent asked me a couple of weeks
ago after a piece of cardboard flew out of my truck and hit his tailgating
undercover car. You always drive 80 mph? I replied anytime I can get away
with it, and faster if possible. But my boat only does 40 mph, but that is
in as shallow as 8" of water.
Bill